DTFB Backyard Slow Flier

TooJung2Die

Master member
I wanted an airplane to fly in my backyard so I wouldn't have to load up the car and drive to a park when the urge hit. I have no plans, it is all by TLAR design from bits on hand. The prototype had a spruce stick fuselage and flew great. Then I scored some free used arrow shafts from an archery store. I cut off the wood fuselage and replaced it with a 26" carbon fiber arrow. That shaved off some weight and it flies even better, slow and very maneuverable. I've been flying this more than all my other airplanes combined because all I have to do is step out the back door and give it a toss.

Here's a quick video of the wood stick prototype flying.

Some specs:
1504 2600KV motor
10A ESC
850 mAh 2S Lipo battery
5x3 gemfan prop
2x 4.3 gram servos
DTFB with paper removed both sides
40" wingspan, 7" chord (20" center, 10" polyhedral tips)
12" horizontal stabilizer, 1.75" elevator
6" vertical stabilizer, 1.75" rudder
Bamboo bbq skewers for wing supports and stiffeners
Gift card mounts for battery and receiver.
White Gorilla Glue, as little hot glue as possible to save weight.
Piece of scrap packing foam Gorilla glued to the nose for safety.
6.1 oz AUW. (Can use a smaller battery for more weight saving)
CG is at the thickest point of the wing rib.

The undercamber wing was rolled on a table edge. The shape is a TLAR guess. Four ribs were added to hold the shape, two centered and one at each polyhedral wing joint. Paper left on the ribs for some strength.

bsf1.jpg bsf2.jpg

Zip ties and Velcro hold the receiver and ESC to the airframe. The cheap ESC has been acting up so the heat shrink was removed for better cooling. Didn't help but more weight was saved. :)

bsf3.jpg

Servos are hot glued to the arrow shaft. Sewing thread and CA glue lashing hold the bamboo wing supports to the arrow shaft.

bsf4.jpg

Detail of the gift card receiver and battery shelf. Soft foam nose protector.

bsf5.jpg

Empennage is Gorilla glued to the arrow shaft.

bsf6.jpg

Packing tape hinges, gift card control horns, .020 push rod wire, Q-tip tube wire guides, bamboo stiffener glued in elevator.

bsf7.jpg

Detail of the sewing thread lashing and electronics mounting.

bsf8.jpg

Detail of the wing rib shape and Gorilla glue attachment of the wing struts.

bsf9.jpg

Detail of sewing thread and CA glue lashing to arrow shaft.

bsf10.jpg

It doesn't crash, it's so slow and light it just bumps into things. It'll loop easy but the wing tips flex. Self-righting, get it into any crazy attitude and let go of the stick it comes back to steady flight. It's almost noiseless and won't disturb anyone. I've flown it for over half an hour and have never drained a battery. It would be a great indoor venue flier.

This airplane can easily be built with more weight saving for even slower flight. A smaller battery would be a big weight loss. I will happily supply any detail I left out.

Jon

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
That's wonderful. Just the type of thing I was looking for for Cub demonstration in the Gymnasium. (or other larger room.)

Thanks for sharing.