DTFB Corben Super Ace

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
A little background here. If you haven't noticed this is probably like my 5th or 6th plane in progress on the forum. I haven't forgotten about the others or given up on them. They are all moving along and will get finished in their own time. You see, I've always liked to have a LOT of irons, if you will, in the fire. Always starting projects then starting another, and another. I like the ability to bounce around. If I get stuck on one, I work on another. I just maidened my 5th biplane the other day and the Beech 18 is moving along as well. The great thing about DTFB planes is the turn around time from idea to finished is pretty quick.

Ok, on to this plane. I love the "old timer" planes. One of my favorite things to do is sit on the outerzone website home page and keep hitting the refresh button in the browser. They always have 4 planes pictured at the top and it cycles every time you hit refresh. Last night I was looking for a vintage high wing plane that had the "lines" in mind that I was looking for. Refresh, refresh, then I saw this plane. I love it. Thats all there is to say. Its beautiful in its weird sort of way with the huge engine "hump" on top. I had to build it. Despite never having heard of the plane before there were quite a few sets of planes for it out there. I started to do a little history on the original plane and its pretty cool. From what I read there weren't a lot of full scale version of the plane, maybe 6 that are known, most before 1940. That said, there were quite a few different model versions released with everything from small static models, rubber band, and large RC or free flight. It was designed originally for the home builder who wants to build their own single seat airplane. It used a Ford Model A engine. Its kind of similar to a Pietenpol in that regard.

Anyway, here is a site with a little info on the real plane and some great photos. A few of which I will link below.

1024806.jpg

keaheycorben1.jpg

corben.jpg

I usually don't post until I have the plane built but this time I'll try and post some cad info as well as the parts getting cut out on the laser as well as some assembly. I already started the cad and will likely get it all done tonight. There will be a few mods to get the power pod in so the motor lines up with the thrust line but it should still look pretty good. I usually build these planes as 3ch so I can just float around relaxed with them but I think I'll do this one as a 4ch. It should have around a 38" wingspan and will be a swapable.

And so with that, I add another iron to the fire.... :)

Justin

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
I got the fuselage cut out and glued together over my lunch hour today. hope to cut the wing out before I head home today. Here is where it sits. There is going to be a LOT of poster board to figure on on this one. I think I'm going to start with printer paper first and some sewing pins to help with making templates then scan them into a computer and trace in cad. Its a bit of work but it will guarantee a good fit.

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
I got the wing done and most of the fuse skinned. Need to tweak a few things on the back. I must admit I hate poster board. Never seems to lay down the way I intend it to. That was one of the reasons to do this plane, get better with it. Hope to have the rest done in the coming days.

Justin

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Well I've been stuck on getting the wing struts figured out. After a few attempts I think I finally came up with something I like. I wanted the wing to stay removable so I needed to come up with a strong yet easy to remove. I took some skewers and some linkage rod and came up with this. It certainly looks good. Only time will tell if it works out well. The wing is really rigid and balanced well. Excited to give it a shot.

Justin

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Thanks Nerdnic, means a lot to get a compliment from such a great builder on this forum!

Justin

Allenhat

Looking very nice. Let me know when you might try and fly it I would love to see it in person. Subscribing.