just another P-51 Mustang........OR? NACA designidea the P51 Forward SweepWing !

leaded50

Legendary member
well, i never believed i would build a Mustang. Its one of the planes that its made thousands of to RC use eg. And in tens of years its been a Mustang RC plane to buy ready to fly. Thats normally make no interest to build by me, its no rarity, unique plane .
At moment though...... the Flite Test Mustang Master build fuselage is getting ready, front is already changed, the belly is in work together against tail.

The reason why i build a Mustang.... would be seen later in the thread... ;)

1707918357542.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
Under/After the WW2 it was a lot of testing in new aviaton,..
Russian did a lot of testing, even a few in use by military/navy. Mainly they worked more on rockets than jet-propulsion in the earliest days, later more on jet-engines.
Also western planes was a target for testings and new ideas development , as here by a proposal to make more of a "ducted prop/fan" propulsion on the Spitfire. Unknown if made, but.....

Mustang_ducted fan.jpg

On my Mustang build i follow one of the proposals done. Close to after WW2 NACA got a Mustang for their use of experimenting. That plane never got reworked to test the proposals, only wooden models was made for testing in windtunnel.
On of the proposals for testing was to use an existing fighter (the Mustang) reworked with an aft/under ventral Westinghouse 19XB-28 jet engine, and also keeping the Allison liquid-cooled V-1710- G6R propeller engine in front. That would made the optional "dream machine" as mixed propulsion plane. The picture found of that model is so bad i dont see reason show it. (grainy and only minor differences in shadows)

The Mustang fuselage has now gotten another angle on tailfin front & higher, opening under rear for "jet"- exhaust, intakes under front, and some NACA intake ducts to the two engines.

1708028429520.jpg

1708028416152.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
fuselage have got a little light-wall-filler here and there, adjusted, been painted with contrast paint, and sanded smooth ready for its silver/alu type color.
I have not done anything about cockpit yet, but was lucky a friendly shop "near me" had the cockpit glassing and some other parts for P-51 in close to similar size. That will save me work. And, of course when making from scratch (close too, or ok i surrender its my fault not making enough attention on the P-51 Master Series build because of some changes i needed.) some errors could happend..... i got some extra work to mount motor... the firewall got to far from front. GRRRR!

1708163023900.jpg

Brian B

Elite member
This should be good! The leveling you do to smooth out your builds are on another level. You must handle them with kid gloves getting them back and forth from the airfield.
I'm almost done kitbashing the Master Series P-51 into an A-51 Stallion. I felt the same about the Mustang, even the F-82, but this one is something special to me. I'd like to see other Mustang What-If builds.

Attachments

• 20240213_215133.jpg
    20240213_215133.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
This should be good! The leveling you do to smooth out your builds are on another level. You must handle them with kid gloves getting them back and forth from the airfield.
I'm almost done kitbashing the Master Series P-51 into an A-51 Stallion. I felt the same about the Mustang, even the F-82, but this one is something special to me. I'd like to see other Mustang What-If builds.
Thanks! the way of smoothing gives the little extra, even if its not made fully sleek anyway, somewhere the skin connections, eg. will show.
It all depends on what much work to do (on something ment to not get quite close to your eyes ;) ) I hate seen big errors in the skins, minor ones not so big problem but... Also using a darker color as the contrast layer....it gives a darker metallic silvertone specially on shadows.
Also some of my builds get to indoor aviaton show now and then for public viewing to show that part of the hobby.
The 10 min extra (approx?) gives a lot better view many times.

leaded50

Legendary member
well, fuelage is ready! Even the electric retract is mounted. Paint is on, and the marking of NARCA (later NASA) Plan was to use goldleafs, but checked had to little in storage... painted orange instead. I used a cocpit glassing from a Dynam Mustang plane who is in same size. Easy fix.
Still missing building the wing though....

1708626945875.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
differences on the fuselage changed from the original design of the P-51:
1. a touch longer forward, with a more sharper needleshaped front.
2. airintakes in frontal lower parts
3. reposisioned wingroot.
4."jet"-exhaust port in rear.
5. higher & a touch slimmer tailfin.

1708690609911.jpg

1708690619937.jpg

1708690597452.jpg

1708690628888.jpg

Attachments

• 1708690609911.jpg
    1708690609911.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
The Mustang the NACA (later NASA) got for their experimenting was ment used for speedtests with combined propulsion eg. BUT also a longer test on wings in shapes, form eg. Here did the Mustang "got its brand" : the Mustang P-51D FSW. ( Forward Sweept Wing )
In the tests, they found couldnt get over 15 degrees forward, then the wingshape would deform because airspeed eg. The Mustang had quite a thin wingshape, but at that time thry didnt had things to get it strong enough to keep it when over the 15 degree angle. Todays stuff as carbonfiber/fiberglassing/ eg would made it possible though.

So this is my build, as the Mustang FSW was planned to be, not just a wooden figure in windtunnel testing. And yes, my wings shoulld be strong enough, reinforced with carbonfiber spars. I got a Mustang, but for shure not a typical one, but the designed idea never built. :giggle:

(as an historic tip, In Australia it was rebuild a Mustang with a R&R Dart turbojet in front. More performance.....)