Help! Dual rates/expo on Carbon Cub S+

Douglas

I THINK I can tell you what dual rate and expo do, but I've never used them. I just watched a video where I followed the instructions to set up high, mid, and low rates. I set it up with high 100%, expo 30%; mid 75%, expo 25%; low 50% expo 20% and I did that for rudder, ailerons, and elevator. My first question is, do those settings sound about right to any experienced Carbon Cub S+ fliers? Also, I assigned all of this to switch D on my DX6e.

But this plane also has beginner, intermediate, and advanced flight modes which is a separate animal from D/R Expo. So far I've only flown beginner and intermediate. But I guess now I'll be flying intermediate + one of my three D/R Expo levels. I suppose the flight mode and the D/R Expo have nothing much to do with each other (flight mode just controls the amount of allowable bank), but let me know if the two won't mix well.

Also, should I fly this plane using the intermediate D/R Expo settings described above?

OlliePackman

I THINK I can tell you what dual rate and expo do, but I've never used them. I just watched a video where I followed the instructions to set up high, mid, and low rates. I set it up with high 100%, expo 30%; mid 75%, expo 25%; low 50% expo 20% and I did that for rudder, ailerons, and elevator. My first question is, do those settings sound about right to any experienced Carbon Cub S+ fliers? Also, I assigned all of this to switch D on my DX6e.

But this plane also has beginner, intermediate, and advanced flight modes which is a separate animal from D/R Expo. So far I've only flown beginner and intermediate. But I guess now I'll be flying intermediate + one of my three D/R Expo levels. I suppose the flight mode and the D/R Expo have nothing much to do with each other (flight mode just controls the amount of allowable bank), but let me know if the two won't mix well.

Also, should I fly this plane using the intermediate D/R Expo settings described above?
To begin with, dual rates is the amount of movement that you allow a control surface (the flappy bits) to move. For example 100 percent dual rate might allow the control surface to move 45 degrees in each direction, 50 percent would be 22.5 degrees in each direction etc. Expo basically changes the amount of input that your control has on the control surface. This means that for general flying, you would only use half of the full range of motion which will have less effect than using all of the control. Personally, I would say that expo isn't that important if you are getting along fine anyway, it's more for when you want to enhance the smoothness of your flight once you are super comfortable with an aircraft. So moving onto dual rates...
Usually, dual rates is used when you want to change the type of flying that you wish your aircraft to perform. If you just want your plane to cruise around and not do really any aerobatics, you use say 50 percent dual rates because there is no need to have so much control over the airplane when you don't need to manoeuvre quickly. If you want to be a bit more gnarly with it and do a few loops and stuff but still not super crazy with it then 75 percent and if your going mad and hovering and doing 3d manoeuvres then you want all the control you can get. However, having said this, the cub isn't meant fo this sort of thing and therefore I would personally set this aircraft to have two dual rate settings at least for now while you learn your own preferences. I would have 100 and 75 percent dual rates BUT I have never flown a cub and don't know how these settings will perform so just experiment by changing the settings slowly, you won't crash, you might only just feel the difference as well. However, you mentioned this plane has the 3 skill level modes. DO NOT mess about with dual rates whilst you have it in any other mode than advanced and you need to be comfortable in advanced before you do mess around with it a little. This is because the different modes not only control maximum angle of bank but I am pretty sure they have there own dual rates and expo built in which will be perfectly tuned, do not need adjusting and it may mess up the safe system if you do adjust dual rates while in those modes. In all honesty, dual rates and expo seems pretty pointless as a long term thing on the cub because it already has the three modes but I guess it is a great learning curve to experiment with on a plane that won't bite you if you get it wrong.
Hope this helps sorry it is so long but I was trying to be informative.

davidrinnan

I am as described above using lower rates / expo when I try to fly advanced. in SAFE mode I never change dual rates.

I have another cub, not the same as you and I have three settings. 70, 85 and 100. I have expo set to 20% on all three.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

I have the newer Carbon Cub S2 and I got the RTF package which came with the DXS controller. It has a 2 position switch dual rates, and the dual rates you listed sound good to me. I've played around with different flight modes (beginner, intermediate, expert) and the two rates, and I've had no issues whatsoever. I honestly don't know if it makes a difference in beginner and intermediate mode since they have a limited bank angle set already, but it definitely makes a difference in expert mode. The Carbon Cub is such a fun plane!