• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Early Aces Pack

Early Aces Package

I was wondering, if it was possible honoring the first aces of the Great War in building their planes.
This could be the Fokker E-III, Nieuport 11 and D.H. 2.
The Fokker looked easy, the Nieuport 11 more demanding and the D.H. 2 quite challenging.

I liked to get them in the 2826 1200 KV 3 Cell 1300 mAh class, simple T9g servos 4 channel radio. If all works well, I will draw the plans and show the build.

First I browsed the plans at outerzone.co.uk to get an idea of the proportions and here I can present the first of the three, the Fokker E-III or the FB Eindecker:

105_1032.JPG

This picture was made after an uneventful first flight. Some decoration is still missing. Weight is 730 gr. The wheels should be 70 mm instead of 50 mm, but I could only find expencive Williams wheels in 70 mm. The landing gear is a really complicated bend, but works surprisingly fine. Maybee I find a simple solution. Gun and siluette pilot will be added soon.

105_1029.JPG

My foamboard is a bit heavier as Fitetestfoam. To counter this, I used this heavier motor, which works fine with a 9 x 3.8 prop.

More to come

Last edited:
The first of the three is now finished.

105_1040.JPG

You can choose, whether Immelmann or Boelke is sitting behind the controls, aiming over the single Spandau MG.

105_1037.JPG

Now to French ....

FB Baby

The next plane is now waiting for testflight. It resembles a Nieuport 11. If it flys well, I will do it in early Italian markings, very colorful and no roundels.

105_1142.JPG

Weight is 736 gr and the CG looks promising.

105_1143.JPG

I hope it stops raining at the weekend

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Mentor
The next plane is now waiting for testflight. It resembles a Nieuport 11. If it flys well, I will do it in early Italian markings, very colorful and no roundels.
Wow! Love the Nieuport. Great work capturing the look. I'd say you nailed it.

mrwhiskers

Ludicrous speed, GO!
if you accept suggestions, i have one. a very uncommon ww1 plane called the Caudron G.3. This plane could be made with a dtfb fuselage nacelle and you could use balsa stock or dowels to make the tail booms.
Unknown-3.jpeg

Sorry Mrwhiskers,

if you find the name of a pilot who became an ace in this machine, I promise I will do one.

Let me fly the De Havilland D.H. 2 first. This is already a nightmare of struts.

BTW here is a video of the FB Eindecker flying:

And the FB Baby had it's successful maiden flight

Thank's for whatching

Last edited:
FB Baby in flight

At first I had my trimms wrong but sorted it out soon. As you can see, the FB Baby is not very floaty.

Last edited: