EDF tailless diamond design

JGplanes

Ever since @jfaleo1 put an EDF on my original White Diamond, I've been dreaming of building my own diamond EDF design. It's taken nearly a year and a half to get it off the drawing board. I have very little time to work on this stuff, but I threw this together while stuck at home. It's not exactly what I originally planned, but I'm glad it's finally taking shape. It's currently running the power pack from my Freewing F-8, but if it flies well, I'll be upgrading to a quieter 4s twelve bladed setup. As of this moment, it has a light first coat of paint, but before the maiden I'll need to add a little contrast on the bottom side. I know it's going to have some wonky flight characteristics, since it has an airfoil, downward canted thrust (White Diamond has downward reflex), and no vertical stabs.

Can't wait for the maiden!

BTW - I can't seem to figure out what to name it. Let me know if you have a suggestion.

Jeff, this one's for you...
IMG_7695.JPG

Photo Aug 08, 9 34 09 PM.jpg
Photo Aug 12, 5 57 50 PM.jpg
Photo Aug 13, 8 54 56 PM.jpg
Photo Aug 15, 4 52 49 PM.jpg
Photo Aug 15, 4 54 12 PM.jpg
Photo Aug 15, 9 18 01 PM.jpg
Photo Aug 15, 9 18 53 PM.jpg
Photo Aug 15, 9 21 18 PM.jpg

Flyingshark

Master member
Ever since @jfaleo1 put an EDF on my original White Diamond, I've been dreaming of building my own diamond EDF design. It's taken nearly a year and a half to get it off the drawing board. I have very little time to work on this stuff, but I threw this together while stuck at home. It's not exactly what I originally planned, but I'm glad it's finally taking shape. It's currently running the power pack from my Freewing F-8, but if it flies well, I'll be upgrading to a quieter 4s twelve bladed setup. As of this moment, it has a light first coat of paint, but before the maiden I'll need to add a little contrast on the bottom side. I know it's going to have some wonky flight characteristics, since it has an airfoil, downward canted thrust (White Diamond has downward reflex), and no vertical stabs.

Can't wait for the maiden!

BTW - I can't seem to figure out what to name it. Let me know if you have a suggestion.

Jeff, this one's for you...
View attachment 177200

View attachment 177192 View attachment 177193 View attachment 177194 View attachment 177195 View attachment 177196 View attachment 177197 View attachment 177198 View attachment 177199
Looks like a night hawk to me!
It reminds me of the Boeing Bird of Prey...

L Edge

Master member
Will be interesting to see what happens having no vertical stab. I solved my problem by putting a 2D EDF thrust vectoring unit on to solving the yaw and rolling problem when releasing. Suggest when you launch, do it horizontal.
Someone else showed a video of a bird of prey on this site and they had the same problem launching.
I use my modified white diamond in gusty winds since the 10 degree dihedral always flips it back on the right side. Excellant plane.