ElectroHub H quad build

jipp

what does clear flight do with LED? im confuse why it was needed for leds. does it change them for certain conditions? i too plan on getting a frsky Rx as i plan on getting a taranus TX down the road. i like open source. :D plus i think telemetry will come in handy so i dont puff a battery, and also altitude. so i know if the quad is going up or down which i think would be good data once you start flying higher.

will have to remember D4R-II is needed for naz. for now i have a couple of lemon spectrum RX i picked up for 2.50 a pop. figure ill just get a x6i spectrum for BNF aircraft and the handful of lemon RX i picked up.. down the road i can get the needed orange module but ill probably keep it simple and keep the x6i TX just so i do not have too. but with limited funds, i can only do so much. being disable suxors :p heh.

chris.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
The LEDs look great.

Thanks.

Do I understand you attached a signal wire to them and connected the signal wire to the Naze?

Yes.

Got any details of how those are connected?

There is a feature in Cleanflight called 'LED_STRIP'. It uses WS2812 RGB LEDs. These LEDs are operated by a single signal wire that sends the appropriate color for each LED in the chain. Cleanflight currently supports up to 32 LEDs chained together in this manner.

I picked up a strip of LEDs off of eBay. Each LED has 3 input pads (ground, data in, and 5V) and 3 output pads (ground, data out, and 5V).

I cut them into sets of 3 and used 24 total by putting 1 set each on the front, rear, left, right, and each corner wrapping around the end of the boom under the motor.

Hooking them up is easy. You just connect pin 5 from from the Naze32 input/output connections to the data in line on the first LED in the chain, and then supply 5V and ground. I used a 5V regulator for the LED power and ground. Here you can see that I have ground, power, and PPM input connected to the Naze from my receiver, and the data in for the LEDs is connected to pin 5. I pulled out the power connection for the photo to show that the power and ground are connected to the 5V regulator.

Enabling the LEDs is easy. You just check the 'LED_STRIP' box in the Configuration tab.

Configuring the LEDs took me a little while to figure out by reading through the documentation. Here are the settings I am using:

I'm trying out most of the features with this configuration. It tells me the armed state, flight mode, warnings, throttle input, pitch input, and roll input.

Dominic has two videos about using the LEDs.

C0d3M0nk3y

what does clear flight do with LED? im confuse why it was needed for leds. does it change them for certain conditions?

Yes. It uses colors and blinking to indicate armed state, flight mode, warnings, throttle input, pitch input, and roll input.

jipp

This, plus I use the DX6i transmitter and don't have any complaints. Spektrum transmitter plus lemon or orange sat rx is my go to setup.

thanks for the feed back.. thats the rout i will go for now ( i will also be able to learn more of what i want in a radio too after getting some experience with the x6i ). i will hold off on getting a frsky taranus plus later on and keep the x6i for BNF etc.
chris.

jipp

Yes. It uses colors and blinking to indicate armed state, flight mode, warnings, throttle input, pitch input, and roll input.

thanks for the pictures, and explanation. that is cool. so by using the board to power them you could use a 4s battery right. and not have to worry about dropping the voltage as the naz board will do it for you.

i plan on sticking with 3s for now while i learn etc.. but i must keep moving forward so ill be using 4s later on im sure of it. and i know you cant just plug into the balance plug on the 4s like you can on the 3s.

chris.

C0d3M0nk3y

thanks for the pictures, and explanation. that is cool. so by using the board to power them you could use a 4s battery right. and not have to worry about dropping the voltage as the naz board will do it for you.

i plan on sticking with 3s for now while i learn etc.. but i must keep moving forward so ill be using 4s later on im sure of it. and i know you cant just plug into the balance plug on the 4s like you can on the 3s.

chris.

The LEDs I'm using require 5V, so I'm using a voltage regulator to drop the voltage from the battery (I'm using 3S) to 5V for the LEDs.

jipp

i missed that. thank you for clarifying. i watched the video you posted. and the led are super bright on cam.. i can only imagine the picture is not doing them justice.
chris.

MitchO

I've used both PWM and PPM with the X8R and Naze32 on this build. I don't know if there are any photos of the PPM connection.

C0d3M0nk3y

I have installed the CPPM to SBUS adapter you suggested and it is kind of working. I am getting my pitch, roll ,yaw and throttle but the rest of the channels/switches do not respond in clean flight. After fiddling a bit my L/H pot started affecting channel 5. I am not sure what I did to get it to show up. I am not sure if the issue is in the radio, receiver or the setup of the Flip32 in clean flight.
Any idea what I am doing wrong?

C0d3M0nk3y

C0d3M0nk3y

I have installed the CPPM to SBUS adapter you suggested and it is kind of working. I am getting my pitch, roll ,yaw and throttle but the rest of the channels/switches do not respond in clean flight. After fiddling a bit my L/H pot started affecting channel 5. I am not sure what I did to get it to show up. I am not sure if the issue is in the radio, receiver or the setup of the Flip32 in clean flight.
Any idea what I am doing wrong?

What radio are you using? On my Taranis, I have to go to the 'Mixer' screen and assign switches to the channel I want them to be on.

MitchO

I am using a Taranis as well. By using I mean I just got it and am trying to figure it out. I will try the mixers like you said.
Thanks

jipp

what color screen did you get? i plan on getting one later on. i dig open source. anyhow, i figure id get the orange screen. looks like it be the best for visibility in day light too. on monday im gonna order a x6i for now. will get a tranis plus after iv learn how to build a quad, and fly the darn thing. i have enough learning to do.. no need to throw more on my brain yet. heh.
will keep the x6i for BNF when i upgrade later on.
chris.

MitchO

So I set all the mixer channels and I have a new issue. The mixers are only working for aux 1-4. So I can only use about half the switches. Of the 4 that work some of the 3 position switches on report 2 positions.
Is it clear that I am a total newb.