Emax 2280kv Hot

Ocean

Hi

I was running my emax MT1806 2280kv on my miniquad with 6045 props, maybe flying for around 3 mins at room temperature.

All of the motors were warm, but one of them especially was too hot to touch, I think I maybe even smelt burning. I wouldn't want to touch any of them for more than around 3 seconds.

I know these props are pushing it, but is this too hot? I'm guessing over 80C.

THanks

Skylar

Hot Motor

I know these props are pushing it, but is this too hot? I'm guessing over 80C.

Hi

Cheapy motors usually have cheap magnets rated at around 80 deg Celcius. More expensive motors have magnets rated at 120 deg C and higher. Good quality motors like Scorpion, Hyperion, etc. have 200 deg C magnets.

What does this have to do with my hot motor?, you may ask.

Well, when a magnet reaches it's rated temperature, it starts to get demagnetized. And the hotter it gets, the more magnetism it looses.

The effect of a weaker magnet is higher Kv. This is very important!

So you're flying and the motor starts to get hot and reaches that critical temperature range. The magnet looses a little magnetism and the Kv goes.. UP. With the Kv a little higher, the amp draw increases and the motor gets hotter still and the magnet looses some more magnetism.. You see where I'm going with this? In no time the motor gets so hot that eventually the windings can't hold it anymore and you burn a coil.

The answer is to measure current draw and never exceed the specified max. amperage.

if you don't have an ammeter, the next best thing is a digital thermometer. Measure the motor temperature and change props if it runs too hot.

Hope this helps.

Christo Skylar