Enforcing new laws at Flite Fest

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I understand where the FAA is coming from, but they cant enforce their laws where I live. I asked a police officer about this and he said that local law enforcement in Oregon does not enforce federal laws. He said that if the rules go into play that they won't last long anyways.
Yeah my experience with the FAA is that generally enforcement works one of two ways, Do something stupid enough to be in trouble with the state or county level they will piggyback on that and sometimes They’ll write a letter hoping that you’ll admit what you did.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You just need to ask yourself one simple question...

Do I want to be the one that gets caught.

Last I checked nerdy type guys with money to spend on hobbies but not enough to afford great lawyers dont fare well in the penal system. The "Just Us" system is funny that way.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If you just hold FlightFest as a protest on the Washington Mall, isn't it just protected speech under the 1st Amendment?

I suppose it would be IF all of DC was not a no fly zone, IF permits could be got to hold a 4 day protest, and IF there was guaranteed housing, food and toilets for 15000+ people, news crews, and looky loos.

ScottSteward

How much freakin dope do you smoke each day dude... I linked the laws so you didnt have to search for them, I even pulled that quote directly from the documents.

At this point your making cheech and chong look like rocket scientists.. The way you are replying and acting I am almost to the point of thinking you are TAZMAN reincarnated just to stir up more problems.

I wanted to let things calm down a little before replying to this again.

First...

I'm not sure why you would conclude that I am here to stir up problems. Let the record show....

- I have not flamed anyone.

- I have not personally attacked anyone.

- I have used no foul language.

- I have not insulted anyone

- I have worked remained civil.

- I have remained mindful of the rules of this community and stayed faithful to them, at least as far as I can tell.

The only thing I have done (with you in particular) is...

- Ask some very loaded questions (I'll address this in a moment).

- Disagree with many (though not all) of your points (and that is within my rights).

With that said, I can understand and confess that loaded questions (especially online where body language and facial expression cannot be seen) can often come across very aggressive. I mainly asked those questions because I felt they are important to the topic. Yet, it raised a level of annoyance with you that took you to a beaking point.

For this reason, in conclusion......

I humbly and genuinely apologize to you personally. Believe it or not, I have seen many of your videos and read many of your postings to a point of respect. In particular, I share your interest in multirotors.

I hope you can find it in you to accept my apology. I'd hate to have an enemy within the FT community. Especially one that has so many fantastic ideas and contributes so much.

Can we shake on it and move forward? :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@ScottSteward For the sake of peace in the universe I will high five in solidarity for the hobby.

MAYBE some thoughts on this whole thing from a Professional (works with movie studios and private comapnies for a living) who happens to be one of the best drone pilots in the world and is VERY well respected all around will clear up some of the guessing on thjis forum as to what is really going to happen if this all goes unchecked.

ScottSteward

@ScottSteward For the sake of peace in the universe I will high five in solidarity for the hobby.

MAYBE some thoughts on this whole thing from a Professional (works with movie studios and private comapnies for a living) who happens to be one of the best drone pilots in the world and is VERY well respected all around will clear up some of the guessing on thjis forum as to what is really going to happen if this all goes unchecked.

I appreciate your hi five. I'll take it and run with it and look forward to meeting and flying with you at Flite Fest 2020.

I'll also look over the video you shared. As a side note. I've also worked in Television. :) Completely irrelevant to the subject but, figured I'd throw that out there.

In particular, a former reality show contestant. No point here. Just a fun fact in an effort to get to know me better. :)

flyfree

So i just google how many members the AMA have and it says it has, 195,000 members. so 195.000 x 75.00=14.625.000 Imagine when if the law goes through all that money goes away.

1. It's not a law. The law ordering the FAA to create rules for Remote ID was passed more than two years ago. These are the rules that allow the FAA to comply with the already-passed law.

2. If the rules go into effect without change, the membership of the AMA wouldn't change for a long time. As the only place where one could legally fly aircraft lacking Remote ID would be FAA Recognized Identification Areas (fixed site flying fields), and most of those would be AMA fields, membership could actually grow in the short term. At least until those fields start going away through attrition. (The rules don't allow for the establishment of new fields after the initial 12 month registration period ends.)

3. That $14 million is used to support the AMA flying events and competitions, their headquarters and staff, magazine, help some flying fields, and other activities. The barely meet their budget as it is and had to lay off people last year.

4. AMA can't lobby. They're a 501(c)3 non-profit, which are legally not allowed to lobby.

5. A couple members of the AMA Government Affairs Committee, and a couple others, have formed a new PAC (which would be able to lobby - in fact one of the people on it is a lobbyist) but there's very little information available for it at this point: https://modelaviationpac.com/

6. I strongly encourage you to read the NPRM, understand it, come up with suggestions for changes to the rules that allow Remote ID to go forward (it's the law, and it's going to happen) while also still allowing you to continue enjoying your hobby. Post them as comments here: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...e-identification-of-unmanned-aircraft-systems

7. You're not limited to 5000 characters in your comments. If you want to write a comment that is more than 5000 characters long, or which includes graphics, photos and the like, create it as a document, convert it to PDF, and upload it. There is no length limit for attachments.

ScottSteward

1. It's not a law. The law ordering the FAA to create rules for Remote ID was passed more than two years ago. These are the rules that allow the FAA to comply with the already-passed law.

2. If the rules go into effect without change, the membership of the AMA wouldn't change for a long time. As the only place where one could legally fly aircraft lacking Remote ID would be FAA Recognized Identification Areas (fixed site flying fields), and most of those would be AMA fields, membership could actually grow in the short term. At least until those fields start going away through attrition. (The rules don't allow for the establishment of new fields after the initial 12 month registration period ends.)

3. That $14 million is used to support the AMA flying events and competitions, their headquarters and staff, magazine, help some flying fields, and other activities. The barely meet their budget as it is and had to lay off people last year.

4. AMA can't lobby. They're a 501(c)3 non-profit, which are legally not allowed to lobby.

5. A couple members of the AMA Government Affairs Committee, and a couple others, have formed a new PAC (which would be able to lobby - in fact one of the people on it is a lobbyist) but there's very little information available for it at this point: https://modelaviationpac.com/

6. I strongly encourage you to read the NPRM, understand it, come up with suggestions for changes to the rules that allow Remote ID to go forward (it's the law, and it's going to happen) while also still allowing you to continue enjoying your hobby. Post them as comments here: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...e-identification-of-unmanned-aircraft-systems

7. You're not limited to 5000 characters in your comments. If you want to write a comment that is more than 5000 characters long, or which includes graphics, photos and the like, create it as a document, convert it to PDF, and upload it. There is no length limit for attachments.

Very well done.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Chump change spent lobbying might be better spent making that 5 star Netflix documentary that shows how awesome our hobby is and how the man is trying to take it, and how annoying and how big a fail a future of delivery "drones" will be. We can't sway staunch authoritarians, but we can possibly sway John Q Public and weaponize public opinion against the FFA and these corporations.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
The sad part about this is we need the entertainment industry to get involved. I know from speaking with a friend who used to work as a contract videographer for Discovery Channel, that discovery went with the "drone" platform after some fatal commercial aircraft accidents. If companies like Time Warner want to keep their ability to have the awesome content they get from "drone" use they need to step up to the plate and help out. Without big names stepping up to the plate to help us its going to be a rough road ahead.

Vimana89

Legendary member
The sad part about this is we need the entertainment industry to get involved. I know from speaking with a friend who used to work as a contract videographer for Discovery Channel, that discovery went with the "drone" platform after some fatal commercial aircraft accidents. If companies like Time Warner want to keep their ability to have the awesome content they get from "drone" use they need to step up to the plate and help out. Without big names stepping up to the plate to help us its going to be a rough road ahead.
Exactly. A documentary and the entertainment industry are one step, but also having support from within big industries who use or benefit from small RC craft for different reasons(other than "drone delivery") is another. They don't want to do extra "paperwork" or spend extra money because of dumb regulations either.

epiper93

Is there any news? I mean surely there will be provisions for Fixed Wing Aircraft. There has to be a separation between the two (Planes And Quads.)

flyfree

Currently no distinction is made between fixed wing aircraft and any other type.

The comment period ends at the end of Feb. (If you haven't commented, please do!)
https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...e-identification-of-unmanned-aircraft-systems

If you're so inclined, please also write your Senators and Congressman.

There aren't likely to be further updates from the FAA for quite some time. After comments close, there's a period of time (the rest of the year) during which the FAA reviews the comments and (hopefully) makes changes.