Enforcing new laws at Flite Fest

epiper93

Currently no distinction is made between fixed wing aircraft and any other type.

The comment period ends at the end of Feb. (If you haven't commented, please do!)
https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...e-identification-of-unmanned-aircraft-systems

If you're so inclined, please also write your Senators and Congressman.

There aren't likely to be further updates from the FAA for quite some time. After comments close, there's a period of time (the rest of the year) during which the FAA reviews the comments and (hopefully) makes changes.
Hate to sound like I support this, because I do not... But honestly I mean, I enjoy this hobby enough to buy a beacon for whatever I’m flying and just go on business as usual.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I enjoy this hobby enough to buy a beacon for whatever I’m flying and just go on business as usual.
Unfortunately, the devil is in the details. You will not be allowed to purchase and add this. You will be forced to buy whatever fommy is available with the certification or fly from an RC detention camp if you can find one within driving distance.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Hate to sound like I support this, because I do not... But honestly I mean, I enjoy this hobby enough to buy a beacon for whatever I’m flying and just go on business as usual.
Complacency and compliance is a good way to have all sorts of freedoms removed...

I too am not opposed to the idea transponders. I am exided about the possibility of flying beyond LOS commercially but as the proposals are written now the system is completely unusable for anyone. Asinine, expensive, burdensome, and draconian are a few words that come to mind...

Please make your comments, contact representatives, do whatever you can. As many have said, be polite, be direct, use facts and reason, but I will add that it is important to mention that it is nearly impossible to comply as they've written it for 99% of the users, commercial or hobby. This will breed a culture of non compliance which will be more dangerous than it was before. I, for one, cannot comply, so I will not comply.

flyfree

Unfortunately, the devil is in the details. You will not be allowed to purchase and add this. You will be forced to buy whatever fommy is available with the certification or fly from an RC detention camp if you can find one within driving distance.

I'm not opposed to that either. If only the Remote ID NPRM allowed it! As flying monkey said, it doesn't. This is one of the primary things to request when responding - a way to retrofit a Remote ID device into existing (or amateur built) aircraft.

ncsky

I'm not opposed to that either. If only the Remote ID NPRM allowed it! As flying monkey said, it doesn't. This is one of the primary things to request when responding - a way to retrofit a Remote ID device into existing (or amateur built) aircraft.

ncsky

I saw the video on the Flite Test FTCA youtube channel about commenting on the NPRM.

Right now the total comments are just above 11,000 at the federal rule site. Does anyone know why Flite Test hasn't put out a call for comments on the main webpage and regular YouTube channel? With their subscriber and supporter numbers the comments could really increase.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I saw the video on the Flite Test FTCA youtube channel about commenting on the NPRM.

Right now the total comments are just above 11,000 at the federal rule site. Does anyone know why Flite Test hasn't put out a call for comments on the main webpage and regular YouTube channel? With their subscriber and supporter numbers the comments could really increase.

Simple - people won't comment on the government website, they'll comment on the YouTube video or the main webpage instead. Look at the AMA's FB page and you'll see a plethora of comments about it, but they're not bothering to go to the FAA and express their displeasure. They're blaming the AMA for not standing up for us, they're bashing drone pilots (guess what, guys? Regardless of what you fly, the FAA sees any Unmanned Aerial Vehicle - glider, fixed wing, heli, quadcopter, even an RC paramotor - as a drone and doesn't make a distinction!), and not providing any thoughtful, meaningful arguments against Remote ID. Really, it's giving fuel to the fire, from what I can see.

Best I can say, PLEASE go comment, as we need more people than 11,000. But, also THINK about what you're saying before you click on that Submit button, and realize that the FAA is considering us all the same type of pilot, regardless of what we're flying.

basslord1124

Master member
I am working on a decent size document to submit to the FAA. It talks more about my personal life/background in the hobby and what it is that I do. Also including a few remarks on some of the current "ideas" they are proposing. I might make more comments before the deadline, but want to finish this big one first.