Esc for a eco 2207

I hope this thread is in the right place. It's a little hard to do everything on my phone (even if I am 15).

I am looking to build the ft arrow (mainly because I can fly it in my real flight and it only needs two servos) for as little money as possible. I don't really want to buy a power pack f if I can get it cheaper and better.
I was looking at buying an emax eco 2207 or 2306, but I have no idea how what esc to use. I was looking at the ft 35a one, but was not sure if that was enough amps. Then I thought maybe this one
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywing-flyfun-40a-v5-brushless-esc-hwa30214002/p697556
I could not find any info on it so I was not sure.
If anyone could tell me a good 40a? Esc I could use that would be great!

whackflyer

Master member
I hope this thread is in the right place. It's a little hard to do everything on my phone (even if I am 15).

I am looking to build the ft arrow (mainly because I can fly it in my real flight and it only needs two servos) for as little money as possible. I don't really want to buy a power pack f if I can get it cheaper and better.
I was looking at buying an emax eco 2207 or 2306, but I have no idea how what esc to use. I was looking at the ft 35a one, but was not sure if that was enough amps. Then I thought maybe this one
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywing-flyfun-40a-v5-brushless-esc-hwa30214002/p697556
I could not find any info on it so I was not sure.
If anyone could tell me a good 40a? Esc I could use that would be great!
That should work. I ran a 30a on 4s on a 2306, but it was pushing it. 40a should give you good headroom. I have a flyfun esc and it works great!

whackflyer

Master member
Will I need to buy a program card or can I do it without it? Also, do you think this will have more power than a normal power pack f?
Yes it'll definitely be more power, but it'll obviously draw more amps and therefore you'll have shorter flight times on an equivalent battery. You will not need a programming card, to change most of the settings you use your transmitter and make various stick movements while in programming mode. It'll say how to do it in the manual.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Man! You have great response time!
Would you recommend a high kg motor on 3s or 4s, or a lower kv that can handle 6?
Also, what's the difference between 2306 and 2207?
Thank you so much!
For a first plane I would suggest a higher kv on 3s or 4s. The 6s is gonna be really fast. The numbers 2207 and 2306 refer to the size of the motor. The 2207 means that the stator is 22mm wide and 7mm tall. 2306 is 23mm wide and 6mm tall. There is no standard for this so sometimes companies will refer to the size of the whole motor and sometimes it will just be the stator. I’m not sure exactly what the difference between 2207 and 2306 is in terms of performance but I heard that the 2306 has more low end power but the 2207 is good on the high end. I’m not sure about it but I will search it up and get back to you on that one.

For a first plane I would suggest a higher kv on 3s or 4s. The 6s is gonna be really fast. The numbers 2207 and 2306 refer to the size of the motor. The 2207 means that the stator is 22mm wide and 7mm tall. 2306 is 23mm wide and 6mm tall. There is no standard for this so sometimes companies will refer to the size of the whole motor and sometimes it will just be the stator. I’m not sure exactly what the difference between 2207 and 2306 is but I heard that the 2306 has more low end power but the 2207 is good on the high end. I’m not sure about it but I will search it up and get back to you on that one.
I could always get a 1900 kv motor that can handle 6s and only use 3 or 4 until I get used to it. What do you think? Again, trying to buy as little as possible, so that might last me longer.
I think i would go with 2306 then. Low end seems like it would help more in close to crashing scenarios

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I could always get a 1900 kv motor that can handle 6s and only use 3 or 4 until I get used to it. What do you think? Again, trying to buy as little as possible, so that might last me longer.
I think i would go with 2306 then. Low end seems like it would help more in close to crashing scenarios
So you could do that but you won't really be getting much power on 3 or 4s. The thing is that higher kv on 4s is already a lot of power, so it's not like you are gonna get bored of that too soon. I would actually recommend high kv on 3s for the first time because 4s is so powerful.
Also for 2207 vs 2306 I found this article on it. It has way more information than I can fit in one post. https://oscarliang.com/2306-2207-mini-quad-motor/

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Also to address the thing about getting a 6s capable motor so that it will last you longer, it's not going to physically last longer than a 4s capable one. If you mean that it will grow with your skill level then even 4s is more than enough. More skill doesn't mean that you need more power, and I would say 6s is better if you are building more of a speed plane. For most general flying 3s should be enough and if you want more power 4s can supply it, even when you have more skill.

Also to address the thing about getting a 6s capable motor so that it will last you longer, it's not going to physically last longer than a 4s capable one. If you mean that it will grow with your skill level then even 4s is more than enough. More skill doesn't mean that you need more power, and I would say 6s is better if you are building more of a speed plane. For most general flying 3s should be enough and if you want more power 4s can supply it, even when you have more skill.
More power is ALWAYS better! Lol
I think I remember reading that article. I guess I'll go with a 2306 eco ii and a hobbywing flyfun 40a. Any battery you can recommend? Preferably with an XT60, but I have connectors.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
More power is ALWAYS better! Lol
I think I remember reading that article. I guess I'll go with a 2306 eco ii and a hobbywing flyfun 40a. Any battery you can recommend? Preferably with an XT60, but I have connectors.
If its 3 or 4s then maybe something between 800 and 1300mah. A 1300 might be heavy but an 800 won't give you much flight time. That's actually another thing to worry about, because a 6s will be pretty heavy in comparison with flight times. Also yes, power is usually good but only sometimes. A lot of times more power is fun but a light and agile plane can be more fun than a heavy and fast one. It really depends on what kind of planes you are into. I personally think that it's something that you have to find out for yourself once you learn to fly. I love speed but I learned that some of my favorites are actually lighter, slower and more aerobatic.
6s is just extreme levels power for a plane that size, especially for a first plane lol. I mean you could definitely do it but I feel like you won't regret higher kv on a lower cell count.
One more thing... If you want to go cheaper on price then remember that 6s will be much more expensive than 3 or 4s.

whackflyer

Master member
Like @Ketchup said, sticking with higher Kv on 3s will work great for now. With the 2306 motor it's way more then enough power for any mini. If you want even more, then you go to 4s. I run 850mah 3s Tattu batteries in all my minis, they work great, but if I was you I'd get something closer too 1000mah. They're still pretty cheap, but they'll give you more time in the air. Keep your build as light as possible and it'll fly great even with slightly heavier electronics! Good luck!

whackflyer

Master member
A few more questions.
I was thinking of buying this servo:
https://store.flitetest.com/spektrum-rc-9g-metal-gear-servo-spmsa332/p891564:
I stripped three plastic servos in my rc car so I would prefer a metal gear one.

Is 1300 the largest battery that I can run and has many Cs should it have?

Also, any all on 1 fpv cameras you can recommend? I have goggles already.
Just get some cheap blue Miuzei ones off of Amazon. 20$ for 10 of them. They're plastic geared but they're so cheap that if they break you just put in a new one. Just get a cheap AIO camera to see if you like FPV. Preferably your batteries need to be 25c or over. I wouldn't get anything larger then a 1300 because it won't fit very well if you do.

Last edited:
Just get some cheap blue ones off of Amazon. 20$ for 10 of them. They're plastic geared but they're so cheap that if they break you just put in a new one. Just get a cheap AIO camera to see if you like FPV. Preferably your batteries need to be 25c or over. I wouldn't get anything larger then a 1300 because it won't fit very well if you do.
I'm guessing you mean these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NSVKZP7/?tag=lstir-20
It wouldn't be better to use metal gears?

I guess plane servos are much different from car servos!