ESC up in smoke

Tylerjet

I had both motors hooked up to Two separate escs off of one battery I had one BEC connected to my receiver ch3 and the other bec I had removed the ground wire and just had the signal wire plugged into an auxiliary channel and slaved it to channel 3 mixing. One of the motors & esc I used before together, but the other set was bran new. I didn’t think about putting the screws too far in on my soda can motor mounts. It’s probably what did it.
The only thing that I ask is what did you have connected to the 30 Amp speed control? It it were nothing then you have bought a bad 30 Amp speed control. It is obvious that the speed control output was so to speak over loaded or "shorted out". Double check you wiring polarity just to be sure your wiring was correct. Read most of the above and see what happened, "KISS" is something that one has to learn and its not easy.
I

FDS

Elite member
If the screws stopped the motor turning when you throttled up then you would have hit the ESC’s with the full stall load, so that could have smoked them, plus the motor windings can get cooked.
Have a look and see if the screws could have been the cause, you need to find out as you will simply repeat the problem with new parts otherwise.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
One thing to note. When you Y connect ESC with built in BECs control wires you pull the red wire from one of the BECs, not the black wire. The black should always be there and connected as it is the ground reference for the signal.

Which of the ESC motor combos burned out, the one with the full complement of three wires connected to channel 3 or the other one (with the ground removed)?

Not sure that this was the culprit but best to know for future reference.

Keno

I had both motors hooked up to Two separate escs off of one battery I had one BEC connected to my receiver ch3 and the other bec I had removed the ground wire and just had the signal wire plugged into an auxiliary channel and slaved it to channel 3 mixing. One of the motors & esc I used before together, but the other set was bran new. I didn’t think about putting the screws too far in on my soda can motor mounts. It’s probably what did it.

I
Thanks for the additional info. Follow DamoRC's advice, I disconnect the red lead never the ground lead. I have connected, (paralleled) ECS's BEC's in the past but you better know that their circuitry is compatible to do so. This provided additional power for servo and receiver for a large model I was working on.