EZ Wright Brothers Flyer

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
The Wright Flyer
IMG_20210906_035803150.jpg

I watched this video on the wright brothers being first in flight: (
)
As these things usually go for me, I got inspired. I have been wanting to build a model for a while and the EZ kit seem like a perfect matchup

When watching a movie last night, instead of building a Sorcerer out of foam board (
), like I planned, I went and built a Wright Flyer one of these: (no plan again)

IMG_20210906_004836799.jpg IMG_20210906_034235839.jpg IMG_20210906_034239496.jpg IMG_20210906_035736733.jpg IMG_20210906_035749432.jpg IMG_20210906_035803150.jpg IMG_20210906_040151864.jpg IMG_20210906_040225619.jpg

The Maiden flight will be shortly. As soon as I can pry my eyes open!

Phin G

Elite member
The Wright Flyer
View attachment 206925

I watched this video on the wright brothers being first in flight: (
)
As these things usually go for me, I got inspired. I have been wanting to build a model for a while and the EZ kit seem like a perfect matchup

When watching a movie last night, instead of building a Sorcerer out of foam board (
), like I planned, I went and built a Wright Flyer one of these: (no plan again)

View attachment 206920 View attachment 206921 View attachment 206922 View attachment 206923 View attachment 206924 View attachment 206925 View attachment 206926 View attachment 206927

The Maiden flight will be shortly. As soon as I can pry my eyes open!
Awesome build, ive always wanted to make one out of foam or balsa. I think 13th squadron has plans for a 50” wright brothers flyer, i think.

FoamyDM

Awesome build, ive always wanted to make one out of foam or balsa. I think 13th squadron has plans for a 50” wright brothers flyer, i think.
They do ... the comments are that they never got it to fly well, but build away. This uses Split 1/8" skewers to keep it light and strong. As I glide test, I realize I need to add a little weight up front. (using a penny seems to work so far.) breakfast break, then powered test.

FoamyDM

Sadly it didn't go as well as I hoped.

it was unstable. it did take a crash well and the 1/2 BBQ skewers held up better than I expected. AUW was around 45g. The original freighter is 52g.
IMG_20210906_110124943.jpg

I took the wings off after I gave up and turned the wings into a trainer style plane. It took a few laps around the cul-de-sac. It brightened my spirits.

Last edited:

GrizWiz

Elite member
Looks sweet! I think you just need nose weight or angle the front elevator to give it more down thrust.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
My observations:

1. Wingspan is too short.
2. Front Canard is too close to the wings.
3. Front canard needs to be slightly angled upwards.
4. Adjusted CG should be the exact center of the wing.
5. Main wings need to be slightly angled up as well.

Just my zwei pfennig...... (y)

Attachments

• wright-flyer1.jpg
    wright-flyer1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 0
  • NASM-A19610048000-NASM2018-10795.jpg
    NASM-A19610048000-NASM2018-10795.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

My observations:

1. Wingspan is too short.
2. Front Canard is too close to the wings.
3. Front canard needs to be slightly angled upwards.
4. Adjusted CG should be the exact center of the wing.
5. Main wings need to be slightly angled up as well.

Just my zwei pfennig...... (y)

Thank you for your 2 pfennig. it is appreciated.
This Project was a off-the-cuff whim. I was not looking for a scale model but more something that flew well that looked the part. @Baron VonHelton Have you built a working scale model? based on the museum piece pic, I see your references - Danke.
my canard AOA ~10deg, main wings AOA ~3deg. This whim was based on having 6-8" of full width (20") of DTFB leftover from another project. (and an EZ unused.)

Based on the interest here though... I just might give this another attempt. something better thought out.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
This Project was a off-the-cuff whim. I was not looking for a scale model but more something that flew well that looked the part. @Baron VonHelton Have you built a working scale model? based on the museum piece pic, I see your references - Danke.
my canard AOA ~10deg, main wings AOA ~3deg. This whim was based on having 6-8" of full width (20") of DTFB leftover from another project. (and an EZ unused.)

Based on the interest here though... I just might give this another attempt. something better thought out.

I'm going to put that black foamboard I bought to good use.......A Pfalz E.I will be my first aircraft. It'll be a 3 channel, so I won't have to worry about wing-warping. I used to make & fly realistic paper airplanes years ago. Made a huge B-17 entirely out of paper & won an award when it flew for several feet. Of course, most of my aircraft recently have been in computer games.

(y)

cyclone3350

Master member

Yes! Do another one if U can. The Wright Flyer is a very elusive design. The original only went about 300 ft @ the end of the day and straight forward flight was the best it can do. In 2003 a team of aeronautical experts replicated the first one right down to the stitching and was unable to get it to fly. I think U can do it.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Yes! Do another one if U can. The Wright Flyer is a very elusive design. The original only went about 300 ft @ the end of the day and straight forward flight was the best it can do. In 2003 a team of aeronautical experts replicated the first one right down to the stitching and was unable to get it to fly. I think U can do it.

There MAY be a problem.......According to the video he linked to, the Wright Flyer design is optimal at SEA LEVEL and below. This could be the reason his micro scale didn't fly.

:unsure:

Last edited:

cyclone3350

Master member
I am liking this discussion on CG. Six moths ago, I had finished designing the Wright Model Ex and sent it off to Arizona Models for making the metal detail parts. It took me a year to find as much info as I can to make this an exact 1/4 scale replica. the one thing that was not published, was the center of gravity. It is estimated, through load moment calculations, that the original CG was about 55% (if I remember correctly) of the wing chord from the leading edge. It was also noted that the pitch was unstable and made it very prone to stall spins. To combat over controlling in the pitch, they braced the rear stabilizer ( this one had a conventional tail ) and the pilot had to warp the surface area outside of the stabilizer bracing wires. After consulting with several expert individuals, it was recommended to make the CG somewhere @ or forward of the 25% chord. Preferably 20% for maiden. Looking @ the oz plans, it looks like this would be about right for a canard. This is the what I finally came up with for for plans drawn in 1/12th scale.

Attachments

• vin_fiz_fuse.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • vin_fiz_.top.pdf
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • vin_fiz_.wing.pdf
    9.9 MB · Views: 0