Using A EZ Pack to attempt to get my "Flying Wing" airborne

L Edge

Master member
After watching the video of the Squirrel, got to thinking about Could my designed "Flying Wing" work with the EZ system so it could be used in a dome or outside?

Goal:
Having the EZ power pack V1 and Adams Readi-board, can I design my Flying Wing using the stabilizer and achieve slow flight with the goal of flying the wing in a dome or a backyard? I am hoping that the net result doesn't have any vertical stabs(endplates) or rudder like 'Magic" and has very long flying times.

Design:
Ended up having a flying weight of 91.2 grams(same size as Magic's wing) and spent a number of glide runs to get the right CG. Took awhile to get power settings so that it will climb and glide straight. Success!!! Next, I went for trying to do turns.

I am using the EZ V1 pack and found out that not enough thrust from the props. Thanks to the community members( Addicted, AgentC ) found out that it is possible to buy the V2 motors and the props (much more thrust) and just change the motors out and now can investigate if my flying wing design can accomplish left and right turns.
Can't wait for the FT order to be delivered.

Interesting Side Note:
Had a number of "crash and burns", it did no damage to the motors, props and escape.
Having a small mass, very little damage to the Readi-board.
Gee, this is like a "STEM" project. Design, fly, and figure out what happened and how to resolve the issue.
On a real limited budget, FT now offers a means to introduce aviation to a whole new generation.

Action is at 9secs, 1:00 and 1:58

L Edge

Master member
Great Idea, what would happen if you scaled down the wing? Would there be enough thrust if the plane were 20% smaller?

Great Idea, what would happen if you scaled down the wing? Would there be enough thrust if the plane were 20% smaller?
Placed my order and it is coming in Friday. First want to see what happens when it has increased thrust and then plan to lay out a couple of smaller designs and explore.

L Edge

Master member
Might also want to think about moving motors more outboard from centerline. Lever arms and all that.
Gotcha. If you remember my STOL(heli tube for tail), found out not enough thrust to lift it off. So that one will be revised on when snow on ground. You gave me some good tips.

Piotrsko

Master member
No point in telling you that more thrust is always better then.....

ROG takeoff takes relative gobs more thrust than flinging. I suspect you did do a fling into the air and found it lacking

L Edge

Master member
No point in telling you that more thrust is always better then.....

ROG takeoff takes relative gobs more thrust than flinging. I suspect you did do a fling into the air and found it lacking
wing13.jpg

No, I let project sit, not throw. Need to find larger motor to handle 9" prop. Time to think, always pays off. If it doesn't have the thrust and survives, next choice is to rip off motor and mount unit on leading edge at an upward angle so that it has large forward thrust component and an upward thrust component.
What do you think will happen?

Piotrsko

Master member
What I think happens with upthrust? In this case inverted nose plant or with the weird CG I recall this having: an rudder only controllable prop style mush

Will give you points for ROG initial take offs. Braver man than me.

L Edge

Master member

Got to agree with Josh and others, EZ's V2 new motor/prop has much more thrust!!!! Just maiden the new plane and a blast to fly. Going to spend some time getting use to the flight environment of this small bird and hoping to put landing gear on it so I can try t/o and landings. Very interested in flying it gusty conditions.

Then back to exploring the flying wing. Hope, I don't have to have to reduce physical size. My goal is to see if I can reduce the speed and yet be easy to fly.

L Edge

Master member
Flew "Easy Peasy" this morning with chill factor in mid teens. Got 2 runs in, one launched downwind, real happy. Modifications made it possible to fly slow which makes for a good trainer. With the pattern, build time is under a hour!!!! Need to explore more before I present it. Hope to have it fly slow and perhaps mount a landing gear on it.

So back to my Flying Wing. @Merv was right about reducing size. Gut feeling made me change some angles to have a larger wing area to keep it slow.

White wing.JPG

First thing, bought some white Adams Readi-board so I don't loose perspective in turns. Need to mount my "stabilizer" on the front so I can lay out the CG and position the prop/motor. Heck, this new power pac opens the door for many new designs.
Enough for now.