FAA Registration for those not living in United States

Jimmyp

I live in Canada and travel to the US on vacation which includes trips for Flite Fest. The new FAA UAS requirements state that:

Q11. Are non-U.S. citizens visiting the United States on vacation or for drone competitions required to register?
A. Everyone, including foreign nationals and tourists, who operate a UAS for hobby or recreational purposes outdoors in the U.S. must use the FAA's online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive the same registration certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents. However, this certificate will function as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.

I want to follow the rules (even though its dumb). I will be vacationing in the US in June and again in July for Flite Fest.

I went on the web site to register but hit some a road blocks. It would not connect due to me being out of the country.
I emailed FAA for help.

Here is the message back.

Thank you for contacting the FAA Help Desk for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS). In order to use the online registration system, you must use a computer from within the U.S. or its territories / possessions. Everyone, including foreign nationals and tourists, who operate a UAS for hobby or recreational purposes outdoors in the U.S. must use the FAA's online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive the same registration certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents. However, this certificate will function as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US. Only United States citizens can register their small UAS. The certificate serves as a certificate of ownership for non-citizens, not a registration certificate. Registration takes minutes to complete and can be paid can register with a prepaid credit card bought from a store. When you do this, make sure you go to the card's web site to enter the address of where you are staying in the US.
Please visit www.faa.gov/uas/registration for more information.

1. I went to the store and got a prepaid gift card here at home in Canada. I phoned the number on the back and registered the card with the address where I will be camping in the US. (I hope they don't get mail at that address with my name on it from FAA).
2. I have a VPN service that I can get a U.S. IP address. I connected using that, tricking the FAA web site to think that I am physically in the US I registered with this temporary address. The address on the credit card must match what you enter.

I now have my Registration number. I hope I never need it.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Wait? Did that change? I thought it's not necessary for us foreigners to register?

How stupid is the FAA that they want you to register, but don't let you unless you are from the US?

So if I make it to FliteFest this year, does anyone want to take ownership of my aircrafts for a few days?

Jimmyp

Wait? Did that change? I thought it's not necessary for us foreigners to register?

How stupid is the FAA that they want you to register, but don't let you unless you are from the US?

So if I make it to FliteFest this year, does anyone want to take ownership of my aircrafts for a few days?

I printed a bunch of stickers with my number on it. We could come to an arrangement .

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor

Balu,

I got your back bro!