Father Daughter DIY

Gibson767

I'd like to do a small diy drone build with my 10 year old Daughter, build - to - fly, what kit or parts would you recommend for this beginner endeavor?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Welcome to FliteTest @Gibson767.

You may wish to ask a mod to move this to the electric multirotors section of the forums. You may get a better response. :)

Our hobby motto is build, fly, crash, repeat.

Building your own means you will have a learning curve, two if you are new to RC flight and radios.

Learning to fly also means you have a learning curve. This one includes frustration and patience.

It tends to be less expensive in time and parts if you learn to fly on a sim or a cheapo beater from Amazon.

After that, putting together a parts list isn't hard. We will need to know a little bit more to be complete.

Do you have a transmitter? Where do you intend to fly? Do you have a lipo balance charger? What is your expectation from the copter (photography or fly around the yard)?

Quadcopters are a blast. Tri-copters are for madmen! Welcome to the hobby!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Also, how simple do you want it to be? I mean, I know of some kits that equate to "unbox, turn 4 screws, and plug in some wires" type of kits, and there are others that would require some soldering, programming, more programming, learning curve, crashing, reprogramming, flying for 10 seconds, crashing, etc.:)

As cranialrectosis stated, there's a lot to ask on this one. :) If you can give us a little more background on what you expect, what equipment you already have (or don't have - that's ok too), we can get you pointed in the right direction. :)

Oh, and expect several directions, and people saying one avenue is better than another because of personal preference. A lot of this hobby is like any other - you have the "Ford vs. Chevy, Apple vs. Android" type of mentality, but understand that some suggestions may be "better" overall, but may not be better for what you really want to accomplish.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'd like to do a small diy drone build with my 10 year old Daughter, build - to - fly, what kit or parts would you recommend for this beginner endeavor?
Also, you can get some pretty cheap toy grade quads from China that are nearly indestructible. The JJRC H31 is waterproof and around thirty bucks from an American warehouse, ready to fly. Batteries, controller. Ready to fly. The Furibee F36 is a great little indoor quad, same deal ready to fly and around ten bucks. I mention these, because they're really inexpensive and a whole lot of fun.