FCC regulations for FPV video transmitters

Astro54

Found my Fatshark FCC VTX. Going to rig it up on something and get it out to the field soon....
View attachment 237526
Probably something I fly LOS all the time. Maybe this would be good for the getting stupid with the Tiny Trainer thread too....

Some crazy FPV flying with a low power VTX

:)
I have a couple of these and others that I want to install on my ELRS Sonicmodell Binary Not sure where to mount them yet. I wish the antennas could be detached from the VTX. But I have other FPV cameras as well I currently have a Crazypony in the cockpit but I will change that out with a PAN-TILT and use a Fat Shark camera. I am also buying a Head Tracking module along with a 2 Watt FPV RF Amplifier with 3.2Dbi gain. I will also be using both receive and transmit High Gain Antennas. I am hoping to get at least 50km-70km flights with this aircraft. Running (2) 4s 14.8v @ 6500mAh Batteries. This also has a Mapping Camera Bay in the belly of the fuselage. I may install my GoPro in the camera bay. It also has GPS, Remote ID, Flight Stabilizer Gyro. I also have 3 way camera switch so I can switch from one camera to the next via one of the toggle switches on the transmitter. I will use either Spektrum or Fly Sky with OpenTX protocol. I had to get my HAM license,Trust Certification and Registration # in order to be able to fly this. It also has a Ground Base System for longer than Line of Sight flights.Under certain circumstances I will be required to have Wavier approval to fly in certain areas and more than 400ft elevation. I have several other RC Airplanes, but not quite as equipped. KE8ZCE

Attachments

• 376739397_238427369164406_6639221016465301519_n.jpg
    376739397_238427369164406_6639221016465301519_n.jpg
    636.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230907_231000.jpg
    IMG_20230907_231000.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230908_153300.jpg
    IMG_20230908_153300.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
At least a Technician HAM license is required for transmitting Video and Audio from an FPV Transmitter. Registration is also required for Drones or Fixed Wing Aircraft and the Registration # must be displayed on the aircraft. Also a TRUST Certificate is also required and can be obtained by taking the Exam on the AMA site. Anything above 55 lb requires a Remote Pilot Certification. I just received my Tech license and I also have my Registration # and My Trust Certificate along with Remote ID # . I am not 100% sure how may Watts can be used legally.. I am thinking 1-2 watts max. Anything .55lb (253gr) are not required to be registered if flown in a FRIA.
you have some mistakes here...
  • anything sub 250g/.55lb doesn't require a registration nor RID to be flown _anywhere_ that is legal to fly [still can't fly near airports for example]
    • unless it is commercially, then it has to be registered and have RID
  • trust cert can be taking multiple places, not just AMA site
  • it is generally put at 1W, as there is a 1W limit "for RC control" thing in the FCC Ham rules
  • anything hobby flown at a FRIA doesn't need a RID (this is all a FRIA gets you, is no RID needed)
  • if the FPV gear is FCC certified, then you don't need a HAM license, but I don't think any of the gear currently used is... except maybe the DJI stuff.

Astro54

you have some mistakes here...
  • anything sub 250g/.55lb doesn't require a registration nor RID to be flown _anywhere_ that is legal to fly [still can't fly near airports for example]
    • unless it is commercially, then it has to be registered and have RID
  • trust cert can be taking multiple places, not just AMA site
  • it is generally put at 1W, as there is a 1W limit "for RC control" thing in the FCC Ham rules
  • anything hobby flown at a FRIA doesn't need a RID (this is all a FRIA gets you, is no RID needed)
  • if the FPV gear is FCC certified, then you don't need a HAM license, but I don't think any of the gear currently used is... except maybe the DJI stuff.
im old give me a break,