Feedback on our Hexacopter creatation.

englishboy96

Feedback on our Hexacopter creation

Hello, my name is Trent, a few classmates and myself at my school are creating a Hexacopter for our school to use. We have had some issues along the way, such as configuration of the flight controller and other connections that were not making sense for awhile. But we have got the drone flying for the most part still getting use to the different controls and everything but was wondering if we could get feedback from anyone to see if we can make this better.

Some of the things that we have used are
Tarot 5008 High Power Brushless Motor (340kv)
Dys 40amp ESCs
Dji Naza-M Lite & Gps Combo Set for our flight controller
Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver
ZIPPY Flightmax 5800mAh 5S1P 30C for the battery
DJI Flamewheel f550 Carbon fiber retractable landing gear( which they seem very small for the size of our drone)

We are also attempting to have a large Gimbal but the control board slightly caught fire and hasn't worked since so we bought a new one.
We now have
3 Ipower GBM5208-200T 3KG 5208 for our motors
1 AlexMos Firmware Simple Brushless Gimbal Controller W/ IMU & 3-axis Module 3RD

I can post a picture at a later time of the current status of our drone but if anyone can give feedback that would help a lot. Thank you

Last edited:

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
That sounds like it's a beast. What props are you using? Did you guys design the frame?

nilsen

That thing is huge with those motors? I would think you would need 6s batteries and at least a 900 size for such big motors (15 inch props or so).

Wow, would love to see images.

Ocean

Those motor are designed for 6s with props 17-18".

Do you have any specifications of the frame? And what propellors are you running?

englishboy96

We have 13 inch carbon fiber props on them at the current moment. Its 31 inches in diameter without props and 44 inches with props pointing outwards. We tried 15 inch props but they hit each other because of an error while cutting out our arms to the drone. We took ideas from other drones to make the body of the drone. But we shall be posting pictures and videos soon!

Last edited:

pyr0knight1

IMAG0021.jpg IMAG0022.jpg IMAG0023.jpg IMAG0024.jpg IMAG0025.jpg IMAG0026.jpg IMAG0027.jpg IMAG0028.jpg IMAG0029.jpg IMAG0030.jpg

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
13" props are small for that KV rating and are much better suited to the 600 to 900KV area.

You can get away with it but will need more than a 3S Lipo as has been pointed out already.

Thurmond

Darkback2

The kids ran into two problems...First, they made the costly mistake of cutting the booms too short, and second, they made the mistake of not budgeting for mistakes like that...So...We had to go with 13 inch props until we get more money next fall to fix the problems. We hope to post video of it actually flying after this weekend.

DB

Ocean

I would really try to get clearance for 18" props and also I would get a few 6S batteries, you will get the best performance out of those motors and ESCs.

Also the stock Turnigy 9X has no failsafe built in, so if you loose radio connection your could face a flyawa, if you have some spare cash might be a nice idea to get another module, the FrSky XJT or DJT are good options.