Fiberglass on Micro RC Planes?

Snelson5254

So I've been building FPV planes <250g from Dollar Tree foamboard, but I want to squeeze more performance out of them. I'm happy to invest money, time, and effort.
I was thinking that hotwire-cut styrofoam (EPS) wing cores / fuselage covered with one or two layers of 3/4 oz fiberglass cloth would do the trick. Does anyone have experience with this? Does fiberglass lend itself well to smaller airplanes, or should I stick to DTFB?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
It depends on what you mean by "more performance", more speed, more aerobatics, lighter plane etc. What are you trying to do with your planes? Also overall, rather than fiberglassed foam, if I wanted to get more performance (in almost all aspects) I would just build with balsa.

Snelson5254

It depends on what you mean by "more performance", more speed, more aerobatics, lighter plane etc. What are you trying to do with your planes? Also overall, rather than fiberglassed foam, if I wanted to get more performance (in almost all aspects) I would just build with balsa.
I'm hoping to reduce weight, and improve the aerodynamics of the plane by using real airfoils and tadpole fuselages instead of their rough approximations with foamboard.

JustPlaneChris

fiberglassing foam/foamboard would dissolve(eat) foam. Also a model will gain weight.
Not if you use the correct type of resin! Epoxy does not attack the foam. Regular hardware store (polyester or vinylester) "bondo" resin most certainly will eat the foam.

To the OP: If you are looking to replace the paper skin strength with fiberglass, you will need to use more than 3/4 oz cloth. At a minimum, you'll want two layers of 1.5oz, preferably with one layer on a 45 degree bias for rigidity.

You won't likely reduce the weight compared to foamboard, especially if you are just learning the techniques. Beginners to composites almost always use too much resin. :)

All that said, don't let us stop you from experimenting! Small and light models can certainly be made with composites, look at the DLG for example. Many are under 250g with 1.5 meter wingspans!

If you dive into composites, keep us posted and don't be afraid to ask for tips! I've wire cut and vacuum-bagged > 100 wings over the years, as well as having made several molds for fuselages and even a full scale aircraft cowling. Tap into the knowledge. :)

Chris

Snelson5254

Thanks for the reply, I had not thought of DLGs, but they do seem like sort of what I'm going for. That is certainly encouraging.

leaded50

Legendary member
Not if you use the correct type of resin! Epoxy does not attack the foam. Regular hardware store (polyester or vinylester) "bondo" resin most certainly will eat the foam.

To the OP: If you are looking to replace the paper skin strength with fiberglass, you will need to use more than 3/4 oz cloth. At a minimum, you'll want two layers of 1.5oz, preferably with one layer on a 45 degree bias for rigidity.

You won't likely reduce the weight compared to foamboard, especially if you are just learning the techniques. Beginners to composites almost always use too much resin. :)

All that said, don't let us stop you from experimenting! Small and light models can certainly be made with composites, look at the DLG for example. Many are under 250g with 1.5 meter wingspans!

If you dive into composites, keep us posted and don't be afraid to ask for tips! I've wire cut and vacuum-bagged > 100 wings over the years, as well as having made several molds for fuselages and even a full scale aircraft cowling. Tap into the knowledge. :)

Chris
yes, correct, id using epoxy resin, it wouldnt eat foam. Fiberglass resin will though

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i am planning on doing this to a wing design i am working on in the hopes of making it almost indestructible. i fly high speed, low level FPV and am tired of killing my FB planes. i want something i can fly into a wall at speed and not damage. if you watch the video that FT did on their glassed mini-arrows it looks like it should do the trick. when they crashed into a 4x4 post i think it did more damage to the post than the wing. that's what i need.

laters,

me :cool:

JustPlaneChris

It's too bad that EPP foam is so hard to find right now. That's the real secret to a virtually indestructible wing! I've got a SuperFly (delta) made from EPP that has been treated horribly for over a decade, and it just won't die. You may want to check out TBRC Wings, it looks like they are now using a foam they say is better than EPP. https://www.tbrcwings.com/

Chris

Snelson5254

It's too bad that EPP foam is so hard to find right now. That's the real secret to a virtually indestructible wing! I've got a SuperFly (delta) made from EPP that has been treated horribly for over a decade, and it just won't die. You may want to check out TBRC Wings, it looks like they are now using a foam they say is better than EPP. https://www.tbrcwings.com/

Chris
Wow that HEPP stuff sounds great. Shame they don't sell it as blocks

Snelson5254

i am planning on doing this to a wing design i am working on in the hopes of making it almost indestructible. i fly high speed, low level FPV and am tired of killing my FB planes. i want something i can fly into a wall at speed and not damage. if you watch the video that FT did on their glassed mini-arrows it looks like it should do the trick. when they crashed into a 4x4 post i think it did more damage to the post than the wing. that's what i need.

laters,

me :cool:
Yeah I saw that vid. Looked super cool, definitely sounds right for your application