First balsa build finished - ELE Cloud Dancer

Mr.McGoo

I've just finished my first balsa build! It's taken me three long weeks of evening and weekends, due to the lack of instructions that came with the kit, it being my first time with balsa and also my first time covering with film.

I'm please with how it looks, but there is a significant twist in the fuse that I didn't notice until getting the wings and stabs on.

I've done the best I cant to align the wings and tail feathers, they are as parallel and level with each other as I can make them.

I now need to find a field large enough to maiden it!

Photo 16-01-2017, 21 38 08.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Should you ever decide to attempt to remove the twists and any warps then just POST!

Balsa with covering film can be easy to straighten though a little tricky for the uninitiated.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Looks great! I know what you mean about the HK balsa kit "instructions"...

For the twist, unless its WAY off is just fly it as-is. Untwisting a frame is difficult without surgery, especially once it's all built, so fly it now and learn the lesson before the next balsa adventure.

ViperTech

I've just finished my first balsa build! It's taken me three long weeks of evening and weekends, due to the lack of instructions that came with the kit, it being my first time with balsa and also my first time covering with film.

I'm please with how it looks, but there is a significant twist in the fuse that I didn't notice until getting the wings and stabs on.

I've done the best I cant to align the wings and tail feathers, they are as parallel and level with each other as I can make them.

I now need to find a field large enough to maiden it!

View attachment 80431

Looks nice! I built one too! Very easy to fly! Great trainer. Here is a picture of mine before the motor was installed.
173734025X1203165X2.JPG
I fly off a grass runway and I damaged the nose wheel mount so I converted mine to a tail dragger. I'll have to get a picture of it if you would like to see it now.

Mr.McGoo

Hey ViperTech, would love to see how you converted to a tail dragger! I have no confidence in the nose gear!

ViperTech

Cloud Dancer Tail dragger conversion

Mr.McGoo,
Here is what I did, I removed all of the nose wheel components... well the rough landing strip did most of the work:p! I use the original back wheels and moved them up to meet the leading edge of the wing. I had to construct a mount and I did that with a square piece of 3/8" or 10mm poplar. I epoxied two sections across the back of battery tray and epoxied two vertical supports to the tray and the cross pieces. I had to shave the vertical parts to make enough room for the battery to still fit and I added a couple servo screws to the outside for more strength. once that was done I drilled holes for the landing gear to fit into just like the original rear mounts were and added a couple screws and wide washers. The tail wheel I kept simple, just a simple non steerable plastic wheel, so that I would not add tail weight and throw off the CG. It limits ground handling but I don't care to walk out and retrieve it from the runway. I Had about 6 flights on the nose wheel setup and I have 20 plus on the tail dragger set up and it is still holding firm! Here are some pictures, Hope they help!
Gerald Cook AKA "ViperTech"
IMG00014.JPG
How it looks today
IMG00015.JPG
Better side view
IMG00023.JPG
Front landing gear gutted
IMG00022.JPG
Looking back thru battery tray
IMG00016.JPG
View of the new mount
IMG00017.JPG
View of mount from the bottom
IMG00019.JPG IMG00018.JPG
Extra screws added for support
IMG00020.JPG
Closer view of the needed widening of the support for battery fit
IMG00021.JPG
The wide washers holding the gear in
IMG00024.JPG
The very simple tail wheel

PRiedlinger

It is just good to see guys still building in balsa! Apparently I am now an old geezer who frequently says " back in my day...", but I really miss the wide variety of balsa planes that were available 10's of years ago.

Mr.McGoo

Thanks Gerald, thats great info! I'll see how I get on with the nose gear, but I suspect like yours it could fail and I'll convert to tail dragger!

Rob