First Balsa build

JoeB76

JoeB76
I would highly recommend the mountain models dandy sport. It goes together easily, it is laser cut and has different wing options depending on how you want to fly.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I would recommend you pay a visit to Manzano laser. I highly recommend ANY Aerodrome RC or Peter Rake kit as a 3rd or 4th build. They have good plans that are easy to read and the quality of the laser cuts and wood selection are outstanding. There are techniques with that plane you will have to learn on-the-fly. Such as the hinging of the control surfaces and shaping them. I would not recommend kits that key together. Select a kit that you can pace yourself with. You goal project will not be a fast build. More than likely it will take a few years to get done. So, learning how to budget time and maintain motivation are also skills to learn in the process.

KRAR

I was hoping to complete the build over 2 winters or so. Time will not be an issue, motivation will be difficult. I was thinking that my build before the water plane would be the P51 from top flite: http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0400.html, which would be a difficult build but not as difficult as the CL415.

I think I may start with the P51 and get help, then go for the CL415

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
1st kit recommendation?

Guwillows.

Pick a stick and tissue kit. They're cheap and go together quick -- sure they're not RC, but the lack of complexity from the hinges and linkages simplifies the build. You'll get the feel of building something with balsa and how the material behaves on a smaller scale . . . and then it can fly for 30-45 s or so with trimming . . . and you're prepped to build something larger and more complex with a lot more shaving and sanding.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I was hoping to complete the build over 2 winters or so. Time will not be an issue, motivation will be difficult. I was thinking that my build before the water plane would be the P51 from top flite: http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0400.html, which would be a difficult build but not as difficult as the CL415.

I think I may start with the P51 and get help, then go for the CL415

I would go that way if cost allows. I have one in my shop and have looked over the plans fairly extensively. You can really go all-out with the details and such to prep yourself for the float plane.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
1st kit recommendation?

Guwillows.

Pick a stick and tissue kit. They're cheap and go together quick -- sure they're not RC, but the lack of complexity from the hinges and linkages simplifies the build. You'll get the feel of building something with balsa and how the material behaves on a smaller scale . . . and then it can fly for 30-45 s or so with trimming . . . and you're prepped to build something larger and more complex with a lot more shaving and sanding.

I am having luck with them as well. My second order is in the mail now. You can step from simple to moderately complex for easily under $100 per kit.