First build and comments

jweather

Big thank you to FliteTest for making this possible. My buddy pointed me toward foamies, otherwise this never would have been in my "fun money" budget, especially since I'm expecting to crash it plenty of times while learning to fly fixed wing and teaching my kids. Also helpful: knowing somebody with a 3D printer for firewalls, control horns, and wheels, and being able to borrow a TX!

Here's my first, an FT Flyer that has so far only taxied around the driveway:

10367733_752399251448263_4157779981699815980_n.jpg

The biggest issues I ran into while building were:

1) motor and battery connectors -- I'm glad I figured this out for myself before placing an order from HK, but these should really be listed in the "other supplies" section of the power pod electronics page. The build video makes it look like they come on the ESC already, but in most cases they don't unless you buy a packaged set.

2) Landing gear and pushrod wire -- My friend gave me some .047" piano wire that worked for pushrods (maybe a little heavy), and I found .074" worked for the landing gear (and I could still bend it with pliers). It took me a while to figure out what to use for these, and I had a lot of trouble finding information online -- I'd love to see some recommended sizes in the power pod supplies section.

3) alignment -- you can't see it in the picture above (that's the pretty side), but the tail is significantly tilted with respect to the wing. I didn't even notice when gluing it together, and I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it now. I have a new tail ready to put on when I crash this one off. =)

4) Loctite for the linkage stoppers -- I had one nut fall off just from taxiing! Should be in the instructions as well in my opinion.

I have nothing but love for FliteTest, just a few suggestions to make things even better!

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
welcome to the forum
I did almost 2 months several hrs. every day learning about rc and all the new stuff since I last flew 42 yrs. ago.
There is so much to learn. Building wasn't to bad, I just had to try to remember every thing I used to know (still made a few mistakes but nothing serious) I did find out that some things just didn't work for me and had to find something different. like for me hot glue doesn't work with plastics or metal.
The more you build or repair the better it comes out and the easier it becomes.
On linkage stoppers that are threaded you can use a bit of hot glue on the threads below the nut to keep them from coming off as there is not much pressure against the hot glue. I have the push on holders and they are difficult to take off to move to another hole on the control arm or horn and if you lose the push on just drill a hole in a gift card to fit over the stub then a bit of hot glue below it with out touching the plastic and it will work. if you lose your nut on the screw on this should work as well.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Don't worry about the alignment too much. The Old Fogey I built is rather mis-aligned and it flies perfectly fine. Sometimes a little sideways, but otherwise fine. Just know it's not going to fly as well as it could. But well enough for someone that is learning.

jweather

Don't worry about the alignment too much. The Old Fogey I built is rather mis-aligned and it flies perfectly fine. Sometimes a little sideways, but otherwise fine. Just know it's not going to fly as well as it could. But well enough for someone that is learning.

Good to know! I figure the error from the misalignment will be far exceeded by piloting error at this point, and I also suspect the tail will not remain attached for very long!

Tactical Ex

Hopefully the same goes for you as it has me. The FT Flyer was the second plane I build and I have only had to repair it once (skewers got too loose after a nose dive). It is an incredibly fun, durable and easy to fly plane. So far it is the longest living plane in my hangar! I don't think your tail will ever come off, most of the wear on mine is on the skewers and the top and bottom tip of the rudders.

3) alignment -- you can't see it in the picture above (that's the pretty side), but the tail is significantly tilted with respect to the wing. I didn't even notice when gluing it together, and I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it now. I have a new tail ready to put on when I crash this one off. =)

Hi and welcome to the club! :)

I have this issue on my Racer - I've glued the whole tail section (vertical and horizontal) slightly to the right. What I did to try to correct this is take a piece of string and attach it to the top of the vertical stabilizer with a small piece of tape. Then, pull it so it's nice and straight (slightly tight), and attach it a second time with a piece tape to the horizontal stabilizer. Now you have a piece of string attached to both surfaces - when you pull on it, both surfaces will move in said direction. Now, pull it just enough to straighten both surfaces. When both are in the desired position, use a piece of tape to anchor the end of that string to the bottom of the fuselage under the tail section so that the whole thing stays centered as you want it.

It's not a super scientific and accurate method, but it beats having to detach and re-glue the tail section. Either way though it prolly won't make a difference anyway :D

jweather

Happy to report that the Flyer got off the ground over the weekend for several very successful flights. All in all, everything went much better than I was expecting. Had some trouble with the o-ring that came with the Hextronik motor, but a small rubber band worked fine to hold the prop on. Learned about the wonders of Loctite after the motor flew out of its mount, and about reinforced packing tape after the wings tried to fold in midair! Very grateful for my neighbor Joe who helped trim it out and rescued me multiple times from sticky situations via buddy box. Looking forward to lots of practice and teaching my kids how to fly it now. Thanks FliteTest!