Help! Legacy gear problems

WillL84

So I just got my second Legacy kit in today. I was VERY underwhelmed by the 1/8" wire landing gear on the other one. It was so soft and flimsy and just awful. I must have spent more time straightening the gear just from rough taxiing than I did flying the plane. I need to go a different route with this plane. Anyone have any ideas?

Also how does this new white foam accept paint? Is it better than the brown stuff (which I sadly never got to paint)?

20230627_113341.jpg

Yankee2003

I usually buy some carbon fiber gear off Amazon. I add a wooden plates (think paint stick) sandwiched between the foam fuselage inside and out to mount the gear to.
I think the wire gear on most planes are just a cost saver. The FT 3D XL gear gets way too spongy and really needs a landing gear upgrade. Fortunately they aren’t too expensive and can be used over and over.
I haven’t seen a solution that is adequate for wire gear yet.

Foamforce

That’s odd. 1/8” music wire is pretty tough stuff. I need my bench vise and a lot of body weight to bend it properly. I use it on my Storch which I’ve crashed many times and the landing gear always rips out of the fuselage and doesn’t bend. I wonder if you got regular soft steel wire in yours somehow.

WillL84

That’s odd. 1/8” music wire is pretty tough stuff. I need my bench vise and a lot of body weight to bend it properly. I use it on my Storch which I’ve crashed many times and the landing gear always rips out of the fuselage and doesn’t bend. I wonder if you got regular soft steel wire in yours somehow.
It must just be soft. I was pretty tough to do the initial bends but not that tough. When it would bend while on the plane I could just bend it back into place by hand. I'll check the kit I just got and see if that wire is any stiffer

hankflies03

So I just got my second Legacy kit in today. I was VERY underwhelmed by the 1/8" wire landing gear on the other one. It was so soft and flimsy and just awful. I must have spent more time straightening the gear just from rough taxiing than I did flying the plane. I need to go a different route with this plane. Anyone have any ideas?

Also how does this new white foam accept paint? Is it better than the brown stuff (which I sadly never got to paint)?

View attachment 238479
that is odd. white foam accepts paint nicely but you still have to do quite a bit of sanding to stop it from flaking off.

WillL84

Well I finally got some time to start building my second Legacy with the new white board and I must say the prayer on this stuff is so much more fragile than the brown. Just handling it makes it start peeling and it nearly ripped the entire length of the front of the horizontal stabilizer when I folded it in. Had to fill it with glue and tape over it to keep it together.

Not impressed honestly.

20230801_155857.jpg

I have been eyeing the Legacy for a while. I want a versatile twin. I used to fly nitro and balsa years ago, when twins were not practical. However after reading the threads I think I will scratch build and modify. I can get both Adams Readiboard and Studio waterproof board here in western Canada. Would you recommend a scratch build over the kit? There seems to be much disappointment with the landing gear, so maybe I modify that too. Is it too heavy to belly land without damage? Any advice you have is welcome. I really want to build a fun flying twin. Maybe a different plane?

demotors

I had the exact same issue with the rear gear. Ended up buying this for $10 and it works perfectly. It makes a huge difference for the load on the gear to be on the fuselage with this replacement as opposed to the rudder itself (original design

I had the exact same issue with the rear gear. Ended up buying this for $10 and it works perfectly. It makes a huge difference for the load on the gear to be on the fuselage with this replacement as opposed to the rudder itself (original design).