Solved First drone

OlliePackman

I am beginning to look at getting my first drone. I want something that is cost effective, outdoor capable and has the range to chace other planes outdoors fpv. I don't have any gear except from a spektrum dx8 transmitter that I used for fixed wing (no idea if this will work with drones) so I will need the actual drone and the goggles. What does people suggest?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Your DX8 will work just fine for drones. I started with a DX6i and eventually replaced it with a DX8 when I ran out of spaces for model memory. I mostly have used the LemonRX diversity satellite RXes on my drones with my DX8. Never had any issues with them that weren't caused by crash damage.

Goggles, I've got a set of Fatshark Transformers that are no longer made. They are the big box that hangs on your face. Think they were replaced by the Fatshark Recon . I've played around with different antennas, it has been worth the $ to get VAS antennas for the FPV gear. For omnidirectional I'm using the VAS Ion and MinIon.

I'm going to leave the drones themselves up to others. I have always built my own and don't have a good refrence for what premade is decent these days.

Cheers!
LitterBug

OlliePackman

Your DX8 will work just fine for drones. I started with a DX6i and eventually replaced it with a DX8 when I ran out of spaces for model memory. I mostly have used the LemonRX diversity satellite RXes on my drones with my DX8. Never had any issues with them that weren't caused by crash damage.

Goggles, I've got a set of Fatshark Transformers that are no longer made. They are the big box that hangs on your face. Think they were replaced by the Fatshark Recon . I've played around with different antennas, it has been worth the $ to get VAS antennas for the FPV gear. For omnidirectional I'm using the VAS Ion and MinIon.

I'm going to leave the drones themselves up to others. I have always built my own and don't have a good refrence for what premade is decent these days.

Cheers!
LitterBug
Thanks so much. Firstly, what does the LemonRX diversity satellite thingy do. I'm guessing it's something to do with the camera/fpv side of things and not the flight controls but I don't know. Also the goggle are way more expensive than I was expecting. I always thought fat shark were the primary advanced brand for goggles meaning not for beginners and are much more expensive or are all brands that expensive. The VAS antennas don't make sense to me either, sorry lol, completely new to drones. Are the Ion and Minlon different as in one goes on the the goggles and one goes on the drone, I don't know. Thinking about it now, I know nothing about drones. Are there any YouTube videos you would suggest to get me an understanding or shall I just get searching

CustomRCMods

Elite member
The LemonRX satelites are good Spektrum receivers at a fraction of the cost of genuine ones. @LitterBug and I buy them at buddyrc.com.

As for getting into FPV, you already have a transmitter, so you will need a pair of goggles, and a drone (obviously).

I like the FXT Marvel Vision II and Viper Goggles, which are featured all over FT episodes, and have a great features to price ratio. They not only can be a set of goggles, but also a monitor as well, with DVR and Diversity Receivers.

As for a drone, I would look into a simulator first. I like Liftoff, It uses a Betaflight FC tuning window, meaning that you can get practice in tuning your quad as you learn in the simulator. Once you have become coherent in flying in the simulator, you can move on to a real quad.

If you have a lot of space to fly, You can feel free to move straight to a 5 inch quad (5 inch prop size). However, if you have a small backyard or less space to fly in general, you may be more comfortable with a 2 or 3 inch drone. I like the BetaFPV Beta75x, I just did a video on it on my Channel:

Make sure to select a quad with a DSMX RX, whatever quad you choose, assuming you want a prebuilt. If you get a PNP (plug n play) quad, you will need to get a serial RX like the LemonRX, and add that to the drone then bind it to your TX.

Building from scratch is one of the most rewarding aspects of the FPV Hobby, however, it can be quite frustrating, especially for beginners. I would recommend buying a prebuilt to have success early, then building afterwards for your second build, when you know more about Betaflight and how a quad works.

As for 5" prebuilts, I have heard good things about the iFlight Nazgul 5 4s and Cidora SL5E Models. I would definitely recommend the 4s models for starters, less cells is usually a little easier to keep in balance and is less power when learning to fly.
https://www.racedayquads.com/produc...hoose-4s-or-6s?_pos=1144&_sid=6ba1736b8&_ss=r

You will also need some batteries and a charger if you don't have one already. Here are my batteries and charger models of choice:
https://www.racedayquads.com/produc...-ac-power-supply?_pos=15&_sid=dbf8ef54d&_ss=r
https://www.racedayquads.com/produc...0c-li-po-battery?_pos=12&_sid=9fd657c04&_ss=r

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

OlliePackman

I have decided to go for the iFlight Nazgul5 4s BNF, eachine800d Goggles and a taranisq x7 transmitter to keep my drones and fixed wings sperate on the transmitter side of things.

AndreasUnzi7

Hello
\, I’ve been flying quads for almost a year I’ve had 2 bnf’s (Iflight Nazgul, and Arris) this is my first real build. I got it bound to my qx7 and am showing a green light on my xm+. All the soldering seems to be correct as I assume due to that they are plug in (all the soldering I did was for the motors and a bridge on the fc to make it sbus). . In the ports tab I have the correct uart and serial rx. In the config tab I have the correct receiver tabs on (Sbus). I have flashed to the most resent firmware, But when I get to the transmitter tab it shows no stick inputs I have channels put on my controller ready to be used but its showing nothing in beta flight! Thanks for any advise or help its much appreciated!

-Andreas

OlliePackman

Hello
\, I’ve been flying quads for almost a year I’ve had 2 bnf’s (Iflight Nazgul, and Arris) this is my first real build. I got it bound to my qx7 and am showing a green light on my xm+. All the soldering seems to be correct as I assume due to that they are plug in (all the soldering I did was for the motors and a bridge on the fc to make it sbus). . In the ports tab I have the correct uart and serial rx. In the config tab I have the correct receiver tabs on (Sbus). I have flashed to the most resent firmware, But when I get to the transmitter tab it shows no stick inputs I have channels put on my controller ready to be used but its showing nothing in beta flight! Thanks for any advise or help its much appreciated!

-Andreas
Mighr want to create your own thread for this to be answered.