First flight crash - any tips?

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
Interesting..
So a high pitch prop will give you speed,
while a low pitch (but faster RPM) prop will give you more acceleration power?

meydany

So here are my final specs:
- Turnigy 1100 KV motor (link mentioned previously)
- 25 AMP (I think?) ESC (link mentioned previously)
- Turnigy 1300 mAh 3S
- 8x4.5 Slow Fly Prop

Are these specs good enough? I'm a bit scared to try it out again :p

RichB

Interesting..
So a high pitch prop will give you speed,
while a low pitch (but faster RPM) prop will give you more acceleration power?

Yes because of prop stall.

You get a prop with too high of a pitch, and at low speeds it's just beating up the air like an eggbeater.

At high speeds, it can generate thrust because the air is already moving across it.

Multirotors and 3d planes try to keep pitch about 1/2 diameter or lower for this reason. A multirotor in hover is like a plane trying to accelerate from 0 speed. you need the gentle pitch to get a good grip on the air.

There are models with really aggressive props that go 100+mph, but you can't hand launch them because at 5 mph, they have no thrust.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yes because of prop stall.

You get a prop with too high of a pitch, and at low speeds it's just beating up the air like an eggbeater.

At high speeds, it can generate thrust because the air is already moving across it.

Multirotors and 3d planes try to keep pitch about 1/2 diameter or lower for this reason. A multirotor in hover is like a plane trying to accelerate from 0 speed. you need the gentle pitch to get a good grip on the air.

There are models with really aggressive props that go 100+mph, but you can't hand launch them because at 5 mph, they have no thrust.

I'm not sure I agree with the last part, I have multiple planes that don't follow that. I've not really seen a plane that won't hand launch because of prop pitch. Torque roll maybe, but not pitch.

Flat4

I'm not sure I agree with the last part, I have multiple planes that don't follow that. I've not really seen a plane that won't hand launch because of prop pitch. Torque roll maybe, but not pitch.

I have only experienced prop stall once out of a few 100mph+ planes. That was a ntm 2836 2200kv pushing a 5.25x6.25 prop on 4s. I eventually was able to throw it hard enough to get it going, but it definitely wouldn't take off under it's own power on your standard toss. I eventually ended up going back to a 6x4 on it, and no more prop stall.