First Flight

grouzer3

Just received my bixler1.1 from Hobby king. Opened the box and the rudder hinge was broke :( sent in pics to them. but really wanted to get my flight journey started so I fixed it with packing tape. tried to gorilla glue the tail for some reason it wouldn't set up :( so I hot glued it. seems like someone doesn't want me to fly. after assembly the CG was way to far back so I taped a AA battery in the nose wasn't sure if it was right but I hand launched and I was off. flew for 5 min and decided that it was still tail heavy. on landing hit a snowdrift and ground looped but overall was a successful first ever flight. was surprised I didn't crash. I moved the AA battery farther forward and launched again was way easier to fly was windy but still was very easy to fly:)

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
welcome to the forum
way to go and hope you have many more happy flights.
flight photos?
did you get the rtf?
keep us informed as to things you like with the bixler 1 and what you don't like.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Just received my bixler1.1 from Hobby king. Opened the box and the rudder hinge was broke :( sent in pics to them. but really wanted to get my flight journey started so I fixed it with packing tape. tried to gorilla glue the tail for some reason it wouldn't set up :( so I hot glued it. seems like someone doesn't want me to fly. after assembly the CG was way to far back so I taped a AA battery in the nose wasn't sure if it was right but I hand launched and I was off. flew for 5 min and decided that it was still tail heavy. on landing hit a snowdrift and ground looped but overall was a successful first ever flight. was surprised I didn't crash. I moved the AA battery farther forward and launched again was way easier to fly was windy but still was very easy to fly:)
I don't know if it's too late for this but I had issues with Gorilla glue the first time until I read the directions about needing water to cure. Somehow I missed that little tidbit at first...
It's probably the hot glue affecting the CG and pushing it so far rearward, but instead of adding dead weight, is there anyway to move the flight battery forward? I know some people have cut foam out of the way to add a larger battery but I don't know if there is enough room to move it forward...
Glad to see you hooked to a great and fun hobby. Let us know how you do when you get back out there and try to get some video! Nothing is quite like the feeling of flying, but watching someone else fly is close!

grouzer3

yes I purchased the RTF version. was hard to see the underside to see the orientation in the cloudy white sky so I put a few blaze orange stickers on the underside of the wings. I made 3 short flights and very nice landings today. It was probably too windy for my skill level 12 mph gusting to probably 18 to 20 but I still was able to fly and land ok. the plane seemed to handle it well and it seems to be very self leveling. on the 4th flight I got cocky and was teasing the dog who was having a great time chasing it, and crashed it. darn near cried. but after inspecting it. the nose was just distorted a little and the seam separated.but the packing tape I put on the bottom to protect it on landings as The Bixler himself instructed in the build video helped keep it together. I Just taped the top to put the seam back and it is ready to fly again. I would have glued it but the tape helped get the shape back. I have decided to wait till the wind dies to fly again. over all I would recommend this plane for beginners I live on a 30 acre hayfield so I can pretty much fly whenever I want so I will get some video soon