First Foam Build

FMGough

I had some time tonight to build my first foam plane. Decided to practice cutting and sealing foam edges with hot glue. Pleased to discover the foam cuts nice and clean with a fine toothed bandsaw blade. Made for some rather smooth lines.

I ended up with a pretty respectable looking nnChuckStang. Tomorrow I will maiden it. I have a feeling I will be making a couple more of these for a warbird glider squadron.

Attachments

• D78C7C05-E2EF-4F39-B9DB-66CE3446D1ED.jpeg
    D78C7C05-E2EF-4F39-B9DB-66CE3446D1ED.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

mayan

Legendary member
That's actually quite cool Seems like you could even lose the hot glue and force in the wings and tail parts through a slot. Which would allow you to have even very small kids build it up, so long as you had the parts cut out. Mind sharing the plans?

FMGough

That's actually quite cool Seems like you could even lose the hot glue and force in the wings and tail parts through a slot. Which would allow you to have even very small kids build it up, so long as you had the parts cut out. Mind sharing the plans?
Thank you. Not my design. Plans and build details can be found here: https://www.nerdnic.com/nnchuckstang.html

Builds like the $0.99 balsa gliders but on a larger scale. And takes less than a single sheet of foam.

I intend to build a lot more of these. Great for kids to fly around in the yard and decorate on their own.

Father Goat

Thank you for posting this! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm making a pair of Tiny Trainer gliders for my girls but wanted something like this I could throw together quickly for them and the neighborhood kids so they could mess around with decorating ideas and learning to fly them.

Thank you Sir!

Father Goat

mayan

Legendary member
Thank you for posting this! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm making a pair of Tiny Trainer gliders for my girls but wanted something like this I could throw together quickly for them and the neighborhood kids so they could mess around with decorating ideas and learning to fly them.

Thank you Sir!

Father Goat

You can also build the tiny trainer from left over card board boxes, like this one. Kind of also give them all a lesson in recycling. I personally built it using no hot glue only duck tape.

191263_bfc12caa1b0334a7a6e54c3a5ad185ab.jpeg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You can also build the tiny trainer from left over card board boxes, like this one. Kind of also give them all a lesson in recycling. I personally built it using no hot glue only duck tape.

View attachment 112775
You can also strengthen the FB and the Cardboard with a liberal coating of PVA glue. When dry the flex in the material is almost completely gone BUT the material will be far more brittle.

Have fun!

quorneng

Master member
Poly Vinyl Acetate.
It a water based aliphatic rubbery synthetic polymer.
So much simpler to call it PVA glue!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Pleased to discover the foam cuts nice and clean with a fine toothed bandsaw blade.

A bandsaw works great to cut out form board planes. I’ve cut 6 layers in one pass, could have easily cut more layers but just did not need them.