First quad...which one?

reallifeje

Hey folks,

Getting ready to build my first QuadCopter.

I want to fly my Hero3 with fpv.

Do I go with the RotorBones or Knuckle? Which motor? 370 with 8s' 2200 Ma Lipo... Or bigger? Is there a motor, controller combo that would be best?

Just need your opinions on which way I should start!

Thanks in advance!

Quad

Hello,

Perhaps checkout some videos on the following and see which you like the most. Once you have honed in one it might help narrow your search.

One option is the Blackout 330/360, another is the Blackout Mini Hex. Also the CineTank mk 2 has been posted as a good option as well.

The other is the ElectroHub and/or knuckle.

Ocean

I would recommend learning to fly on one of the nano quads like the Nano QX or Husban X4.

But if you've already done that then it really depends what you are looking for, there are loads of options for different applications.

reallifeje

Altitude hobbies makes an "upgrade" pack with 400 class motors. Are these necessary? Will the 370s carry my gopro and light fpv gear fine with a 2200 Mah batt?

What are the Pros and Cons?

This equipment would all be on an electroHub.

Thanks!!

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Seriously, if you do not yet know how to fly, go to Amazon, look for quadcopters and get a little Hubsan, Nano or Zyma for $35 to $90 and learn to fly first.

Look hard at the Knuckle H Quad from FliteTest with the Altitude kit. You can make the Knuckle quad larger and more stable or smaller and more aerobatic as you gain confidence and have to rebuild due to crashes.

When you are learning, weight is the true con. When you are learning to fly, larger batteries mean more breakage and less flight time due to longer repair times. Keep the GoPro and 2200mAh lipos off your copter for the first few months until you can fly.

The upgrade kit will cost more and weigh more. It will require more maintenance and better balancing. You will have to rebuild more often as heavy copters break more in a crash. The standard kit will lift a GoPro but I prefer to go light and use the Mobius and save all the hassle and weight.

If I were you, I would learn on the Syma, build the 370 Electrohub and once you can fly, crash and rebuild, slap the FPV gear and a Mobius on it and have a ball. I wouldn't put a GoPro up in the air unless I wanted pristine video and for that I would use a powerful hex with a gimbal and a robot (NAZA or APM) to control it.