First rc scratch build

First rc scratch build

• Total voters

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
What was your first rc scratch build?
Mine was the mm mustang.
I made a wonder glider before the mustang but it wasn’t rc.
My first scratch build was the FT Mini scout, but it never flew because I made it out of hobby lobby foam board and just the airframe weighed 300g and with electronics 450g

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
My first flying scratchbuild was the FT Commuter
My first ever plane was a Mini speedster… funny history behind it, I had just saved up and spent 120$ for just the plane I already had the remote, and I let my brother maiden it……… well he almost hit a car and somehow in the first flight managed to also slice the lipo open xDDD

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
My first ever plane was a Mini speedster… funny history behind it, I had just saved up and spent 120$ for just the plane I already had the remote, and I let my brother maiden it……… well he almost hit a car and somehow in the first flight managed to also slice the lipo open xDDD
Well next month after I saved up and bought a new battery I decided I would fly it instead….
Well I also decided that FPV sounded fun for the maiden… so yup I did the maiden using my brothers AIO FPV camera. Well he forgot to tell me it sometimes shuts down mid use… you know where this is going lol

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Anyway I lost camera half way through the flight and I was so happy that it flew then suddenly - static!! And me being the dumb guy I am forgot to cut power…. Well it ended up crash landing in a school yard across a field and we had to climb a 8 foot fence to get it. Well the motor had burned out and killed the ESC and the battery had the 3rd cell open again!!!! I was super upset but I saved up again and got a new motor new ESC and new battery and tried a Tiny Trainer, which if I remember correctly I had like 3 AMAZING flights with it across like 29 attempts… so finally I said FT COMMUTER TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

luvmy40

Elite member
My first scratch was the FT Flyer, modified for 3D flying. I figured super simple was the way to start. I haven't tried any 3D tricks yet. I'm still too twitchy on the stick!

Tench745

Master member
My first RC scratch build was this thing.
DSCF2165.JPG
After a few iterations it became this thing.
IMG_1662.JPG

Tench745

Master member
Whats the name of the plane? I remember something’s like that was on an ft video
It's the Cafe Air Racer. The first one is Mark 1, the second is Mark 3a.
There are also plans for a Mk2 available in the resources section. Which I have just now found out is missing pieces... Gonna fix that now.
IMG_1288.JPG

My first RC plane was the MM Speedster, off of plans. I learned a ton building that, but never went so far as installing electronics. When I really had to force the wing to pass through the fuselage I was pretty much done with it, I knew I could draw things up that fit better. With that build I got a pretty good idea how to work with foamboard. I also learned how much I dislike hot glue. :mad:

That was my first build. All the rest were my own designs.
I still think my second one would fly if I tweaked it just a little.
My third flew like a dream, a sweet little Stik-type plane I designed as a trainer. :)

SSgt Duramax

The first flying plane I scratchbuilt was this little guillows rubberband powered balsa and tissue chipmunk. I was 8, it didn't look this good, but would fly all the way across the yard. It finally broke when the matchstick holding the rubberband snapped. I tried to dig it out but couldn't. It lived a little longer as a chuck glider but didn't fly that well off power.

DSC_0291__1024x681___640x426_.jpg

I finally got an actual RC plane around 17, it was an old styrofoam high winged cessna looking thing that ran off NIcd batteries and a gear reduction brushed motor. I saved up like $250 bucks for a JR 72mhz radio and a motor and I built one of these out of election sign material. Quit flying for 10 years after I joined the Air Force.

I dabbled with helis a little bit before my daughter was born. I started with those cheapie coaxial helicopters, and then bought a e-sky honeybee king 2, and I still have it, just fixed it actually.

Then a few years back, I got hooked by flitetest (I believe it was the airsoft kraken episode) and I built a mini arrow. I flew it a few times, my daughter was too young to enjoy it at the time, life and deployment happened, and when my daughter decided she wanted to fly again I picked it back up. So the mini arrow was my first FT plane. Now I think the only FT designed plane I have is a 150% FT goblin. I'm gonna build that master series mustang though.

RossFPV

My first rc build was the simple storch but i had a hard time flying it and the only time i did good the wing folded so i built a cub and that didnt fly. After the cub was a simple stick and that flew into a tree, then i did good with the flyer and im currently doing good with the tutor! My first ever build (not rc) was the ft long ez as a glider.