First Successful Attempt At Sketchup-to-Foam (Fuse Only)

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
When I was building the narrow body viggen for pushers, the biggest problem I had was cutting the nose piece so that when it was folded, it sat flush with the main fuse piece. It was quite a bit of trial and error. Knowing that I was going to need to make multiple interfaces like this for the second version of the Aviation Design Diamond, and that I like to make the deck pieces out of folded DTFB, I thought I would try Sketchup, as a lot of folks seem to use it. Started with a simple fuse that would work with the current Edge 540-like layout that I love to fly.

This is the 3D image of the fuse. Not overly pretty but simple to draw and subsequently make. Looks a little belly heavy but it will look better when the wing is in (mid-wing).

3D View.jpg

I used the unfolding plugin to unfold the model as a single piece.

Unfolded View.jpg

Exported this to a 2D graphic bitmap with the correct scaling, printed it out, and taped the sheets together.

Paper Template.jpg

Although I cut and scored this pattern as a single piece, I cut and separated the pieces for assembly. All in all, it went together quite well. Had to bevel the edges that were glued to the center plate to help them sit flush. This one is definitely worth putting a wing in.

Finished Fuse.jpg

Conclusion (already reached by thousands) - Sketchup is your (free) friend.

RichB

Still only Windows or Mac?

Get with the times, google!

Guess I'll check it out in another 8 years