First Time At Flite Fest

mybad

In past years the build tents were stocked with glue guns and glue sticks. There were also boxes of foam board for scratch building, free.

As more people flood the build tents, all of the electrical sockets get used up, especially if you use multiple ports yourself (glue gun, battery charger, cell phone charger, etc). I always bring a 6 foot extension cord with three ports.

I also bring a cheap ($40) 400 watt Harbor Freight inverter that connects to my car battery. This way I can charge batteries and cell phones at my campsite.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Yesterday, I just picked up a TailGator 700W generator from Harbor Freight for $88. With it I can solder, heat shrink, hotglue, and charge multiple batteries with plenty of wattage to share, which I intend to do happily.

RioWilson

Not to threadjack, but another question - is there much thievery at these events? I can't imagine so, as most in the hobby are very upstanding and quality people - but wondering if I need to lock everything up when I head to the flight line for a few hours....

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Not to threadjack, but another question - is there much thievery at these events? I can't imagine so, as most in the hobby are very upstanding and quality people - but wondering if I need to lock everything up when I head to the flight line for a few hours....

None that I've seen or heard of at all. Never bothered to lock up, and never had a problem. There will be gear and planes left all over the place at different times.

Timmy P

No theft that Ive heard of my past 3 years there. The community is pretty tight, and look out for eachother. I've never locked anything.. In fact I just leave all my van doors wide open. If you ask your neighbors to watch anything, its going to be charging batteries while you step away for a few minutes. Lots of planes are left out all night resting under easyup tents (ones not affected by the morning dew). Lots of respect at Flite Fest.

allenajs

Family Tent

Hey Chad!
From experience, the Family tent serves several functions. (I volunteered there last year and will again this year Thu-Sat mid-day)
It's a place to hang, chill out, cool off, relax, play games, or just take a break. I bring my juggling stuff and just try to help keep the kids (and some parents!) entertained. I am bringing stuff to have kids make their own juggling balls and will assist anyone wishing to learn. I am no expert but it's not hard...just easier if someone shows you a few helpful things.

Stop by and say hi! I will most likely have some form of red, white and blue on. Fat, old dude....won't be hard to miss. :)

Allen

Another Question and a big thank you to everybody for being so helpful so far!!!! I was looking at the schedule of events and was just curious what exactly the build and family tents are exactly, and also what is the group build series? Thanks again everybody for all your help to us flite fest newbs and r/c newbs to! :)
Chad

rcbif

No theft that Ive heard of my past 3 years there. The community is pretty tight, and look out for eachother. I've never locked anything.. In fact I just leave all my van doors wide open. If you ask your neighbors to watch anything, its going to be charging batteries while you step away for a few minutes. Lots of planes are left out all night resting under easyup tents (ones not affected by the morning dew). Lots of respect at Flite Fest.

It took some getting used to, but this is the first event I've ever felt comfortable leaving stuff lying around.
Two years ago when it rained all my tools were on a table in the build tent and nothing got touched all day.

Honestly, the most "horrible" thing that happened to me at 3 years of Flite Fest was someone unplugging my charger mid-charge to charge their cell phone, lol

Also witnessed a baggy pants "homie" type loose his cool and storm out of the event after wasting lots of money and crashing a few EDF jets. Gonna say he thought he was too cool for trainer planes and learning to fly the right way.
His whole family was out of place at Flite Fest. Not unwelcome! - but not your usual type of R/C family. It was awkward...

BEEMANS

NEVER FLY WITHOUT IT
Couple of thoughts for a Newbie

Hello
Couple of things I learned from my first Flite Fest: First if you want to do something there bring it with you or you will have to buy it. I bought brand new glue gun while I was there. Second, If your camping bring extra Tarps (the cheapy ones) I think it is going to rain a couple of times. Third (if you are driving & have the room) bring some kind of tie down weight or watch the weather like a hawk, there was more that one tent that took off during a thunderstorm.

aviator99

Allen,

Thanks, we will be stopping in quite often I'm sure. Im pretty sure my kiddos would love some juggling lessons to!!

Chad

Hey Chad!
From experience, the Family tent serves several functions. (I volunteered there last year and will again this year Thu-Sat mid-day)
It's a place to hang, chill out, cool off, relax, play games, or just take a break. I bring my juggling stuff and just try to help keep the kids (and some parents!) entertained. I am bringing stuff to have kids make their own juggling balls and will assist anyone wishing to learn. I am no expert but it's not hard...just easier if someone shows you a few helpful things.

Stop by and say hi! I will most likely have some form of red, white and blue on. Fat, old dude....won't be hard to miss. :)

Allen

ManicSkies

Generators at FFE17

Does anyone know if we are allowed to run our RV Generators at night. I see on the website about quiet ones in the camping area. Just wondering

aviator99

Well our first FF was a success!!! By far the best event I have ever been to, the atmosphere, and attitudes of everyone involved and those camping around us were amazing. My kids got to meet all the FT crew and they were all very gracious and took time to chat with them despite being extremely busy. Thanks everyone on here for all your helpful advice it was a huge help and thanks to all involved with the event, the weather complicated things for you guys but you did an outstanding job keeping things going the best you could. We are looking forward to next year!!!

Chad