First time quad build, considering Electrohub

SV650Squid

First time quad build, considering Electrohub EDIT: build started, pic on pg2

Hi guys, first post.

I'm considering getting into quads for goofing around in the park while my kids play, and something to tinker on when I break it. My history in RC is racing trucks and cars from the '90s as a teenager, Losi XXT, an HPI 4WD sedan, and a Tamaya F103. I currently professionally drive a robot for the Air Force (I'm an EOD tech).

I really like the Electrohub, I wish I knew when it'd get back in stock.

Anyways, I'm considering the RTF quads Flip 1.5 electronics kit, and I'm thinking about adding the barometer/mag addon board.

For a transmitter, I'm thinking about a Turnigy 9xr, and I'm leaning on this FrSky radio module http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14355__FrSky_DF_2_4Ghz_Combo_Pack_for_JR_w_Module_RX.html
Would this be a transmitter/module I could grow with?

They used Zippy 2200mah battery in the build video on youtube. Is this a good battery to start with, or should I use something else? NiMH was the new hotness when I got out of RC last, so LiPo's are new to me. I understand they need a decent charger, and shouldn't be charged too fast.

Thanks!

Last edited:

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I like the ElectroHub a lot. It simplifies the power distribution, which is one of the trickiest parts of building a quad. If you want to make your own power distribution, you can download the plans and cut your own AnyCopter plates out of some plywood. The AnyCopter is the predecessor to the ElectroHub.

If you're going to get the 9XR just to add the FrSky module, you might want to consider just getting the FrSky Taranis transmitter instead. It will cost a little more, but it's a very well built transmitter that I think is a great bargain for the price.

I have limited experience with the Zippy batteries. I tend to prefer the Turnigy lipos.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
An Anycopter was my first build. What a blast. I would love to upgrade it with an electrohub.

Codemonkey is spot on about the Taranis. If you want FrSky and don't have a Turnigy 9X, go directly to Taranis. You can mod a 9X with all the same firmware but you can't add the physical switches. Once you mod the 9X you are at its limit. The Taranis exceeds the 9X out of the box.

FrSky is worth it just for PPM and the D4R-II.

I used Turnigy Nano-Techs and Zippys and I like the Zippys for the long balance plugs on larger copters, but I don't like them for their staying power after I have had them a while. I have Nano-Techs that are a year old and running well, but most of my 8 month old Zippys are puffy and don't last very long in the air. For the first 4-5 months, I loved the Zippys.

I always balance charge and always at 1C and I set my alarms to 3.7v on any cell.

IMO the Nano Techs are the better buy. Don't forget a voltage alarm, lipo bag (youtube for 'lipo fire'), and check out the Accucel 6 charger.

RTFQ delivers but takes a while. If you are interested in a board like a flip, check out the Naze 32. I don't have a flip, but I do have the Naze 32 acro. Baseflight is excellent and MRSS delivers in days while RTFQ often delivers in weeks.

Welcome to Flitetest!

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
If you are interested in a board like a flip, check out the Naze 32. I don't have a flip, but I do have the Naze 32 acro. Baseflight is excellent and MRSS delivers in days while RTFQ often delivers in weeks.

I agree totally. I have a Flip 1.5 and a couple Naze32 boards. The software used to change the settings on the Naze32 is far better than the Flip. The Naze32 is $53 with a barometer and mag, and $25 without.

midnightdaylight

As a proud owner of the FT EHub I can tell you this with confidence. If you build one, you will enjoy it.
Take your time if you can, but don't give your self a headache trying to be perfect. The Flip can handle imperfections...

That being said, keep in mind it's just a platform for the important stuff.
The 1.5 Flip is pre-tuned for a 450 size Quad (the intended size of the EHub), so you can use/upgrade the electronics on to any 450 frame down the road with little to no tuning.

If you know you are going to add allot of electronics, and only use independent ESCs, it's great to have power-dis.
At the same time it is lacking in real-estate, so try to plan out your build or you will end up like me-- Placing things where they fit instead of utilizing space between the hubs because I did not think about where I was placing my solder joints...

The wooden booms are great for crashes, in most cases hot glue makes an easy fix. Fixings is more fun than replacing (most of the time)

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Balan...8&qid=1411174847&sr=8-3&keywords=lipo+charger Good budget charger btw

Last edited:

SV650Squid

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

Cyberdactyl, I've been playing with a friend's mini-quad, and a smaller quad just isn't going to cut it in west Texas winds. I would also like the capability to move up to FPV eventually.

C0d3M0nk3y, unfortunately, I have no carpentry tools aside from a basic handsaw. I'm probably going to wait for a bit for the electrohub.

The decision to split the difference with a 9XR with an FrSky module was an attempt at cost savings to stay in budget. What alternative would you suggest?

Cranialrectosis, thanks for the battery tips. I'll be heeding your advice.

midnightdaylight, I planned on getting the camera mount, if only for the easy extra real estate. I'm glad you like your EHub.

Thanks for all the input. It's hard keeping this simple and knowing everything to order being in a small town with no one else (that I'm aware of) doing this. Forums and youtube are my biggest resource.

midnightdaylight

This is a basic idea of what you can expect for some relaxing rookie FPV
lol Note the 40$ 6ch transmitter... :p

And here is an idea of what to expect when you get addicted to flying proximity (trust me, you will... eventually)
Same Quad, but with the Turnigy X9

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The decision to split the difference with a 9XR with an FrSky module was an attempt at cost savings to stay in budget. What alternative would you suggest?

In this case the split decision will leave you with an inferior product and long term regret. The Taranis costs double the Turnigy. The Turnigy can be modded and upgraded to about 1/2 the functionality as the Taranis if you buy the module and flash the Turnigy firmware. The $100 you 'save' will be spent in hours of your own time and you still cannot have all the functionality of the Taranis. When you mod the Turnigy, the receiver(s) you get with it are no longer of value.

Going cheap here will cost you more and return less in the long run. This is a mistake I made that I regret.

Only get the Turnigy if you are unsure about getting into flying hobbies and are going to buy gear you can throw away if you decide it is not for you in a few weeks. If you know this is a hobby you wish to pursue, invest in the Taranis. :)

SV650Squid

RTFQ delivers but takes a while. If you are interested in a board like a flip, check out the Naze 32. I don't have a flip, but I do have the Naze 32 acro. Baseflight is excellent and MRSS delivers in days while RTFQ often delivers in weeks.

Welcome to Flitetest!

I watched the entire tutorial video, and the naze32 looks pretty cool. The Flip comes flashed for spider quad if I choose. How do I tune for that on a naze board?

SV650Squid

Thanks! I've been googling around during my free time today, but that video and article look more concise than anything I've read so far.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
The Flip 1.5 is an excellent flight controller, but if you search around, you will find that customer service from RTFquads is not very good. Only order the Flip from RTFquads if you are willing to wait up to 4 weeks to receive it, and to not get very much response when you call or email. If I had it all to do over again, I would consider seriously buying the Acro Naze32.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
GetFPV has always been great to me. You won't regret buying the Taranis.

I have those same motors, paired with a 10x5.5 or 10x4.5 prop. I like them. I tried to balance them when I got them, but anything I did just made them worse, so I guess they're pretty smooth.

SV650Squid

Cool, I ordered the taranis and a hubsan x4 from them as a trainer while I'm waiting for the electrohub to get back in stock.

I think I'm going to buy some spare booms when I do so i can swap between X and spider to see if I notice a difference in flight characteristics. Once I get experienced enough, I'll probably shift to spider for FPV/recording.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I think I'm going to buy some spare booms when I do so i can swap between X and spider to see if I notice a difference in flight characteristics. Once I get experienced enough, I'll probably shift to spider for FPV/recording.

If you want to do this, I have some thoughts.

1. Don't get two sets of booms. Just drill an extra hole in your existing booms so that you can swap screw holes. That way you don't have to transfer your motors and ESC's to the new booms.
2. Make sure you leave your ESC wires long enough, and solder them such that you can have the arms in both configurations. I didn't think of this when I built my quad, and the solder pads that I chose would be covered up if I switched to an X config. So, big deal, I would have to re-solder the wire, but it'd be a bit of a pain.

SV650Squid

So I have parts together, and I'm getting started building. Unfortunately, my ESC leads aren't long enough, and I don't have a local hobby shop, so I'm going to wait a few days for some 18 gauge wire from amazon.

20141006_221714_zpsz4hnbnzt.jpg

Excuse the clutter, my reloading bench was cramped already.