First time Super Cub off water.

Vulcaneer

After flying my HZ Super Cub for 4 days, today tried out flying off water with floats. Was expecting landings to be the tough thing. Not so. The take offs were the tough part. Very little wind on the water. But about 10kts, up about 100 feet.

No water rudder. So needed at least half throttle to make the air rudder to get the plane to respond to controls. Once I figured that out, I could get the plane up to speed in a fairly straight line. But in high rate beginner mode, with stick all the way back, it took a long, loonngg, loooonnnggg way to get off the water. Just when I thought, "it just ain't gunna go up," it would finally take off from the water.

Once in the air, it flew really well. And landing was a piece of cake. No problem landing at all.

Taking off in Intermediate mode, rose off water much, much better. Very reasonable take off length.

The interesting thing was, after watching me make a few mistakes, my 40 year old son wanted to try it. We were in his boat in the middle of a large cove on Lake Winnipesaukee. I had my doubts but "Why not...What's the worst that could happen?" He has never flown an RC plane of any type...EVER. But did do RC cars, years ago. Knew left from right, coming and going.

He learned how to taxi at half throttle from watching me. A few awkward taxi moves. But after a couple minutes of that, he gave it full throttle, and off he went. A few laps around. Me coaching as he went. "Back off the throttle to cruise". "Turn...right stick down a little....for up elevator...just a little bit" "Keep it up wind." "Make a couple turns so you can land into the wind." He comes in for a PERFECT landing. No more coaching from me. Off he goes again. And again. And again. about ten more times. Fresh battery... I can't get the control out of his hands. Beginner High rates. "Hey try the Panic button for landing." "I don't need no stinkin Panic button.!" Perfect looong take off's and perfect landings EVERY time.

I really enjoyed watching him, enjoy the HZSC. Everybody recommends having experience before flying with floats of water. His ONLY experience was watching me for about 10 minutes. No past experience WHAT-SO-Ever. He did a beautiful flying job. I was impressed. Just amazing.

I think he'll have a plane soon.