First Unofficial FTCA Fly In?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Well... I asked the land owner of 3D Farm and he gave the nod of approval of holding an event on his property.

https://goo.gl/maps/B1VeJr1ENJqiwNFw6

A little about the

So... is anyone interested in an unofficial FTCA meetup in southwest GA sometime between now and late spring? Or multiple, I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

It's an awesome facility with a shower house, restrooms, pole barn, water and electricity on site. It's not an AMA field, so doesn't require membership to fly. Just be safe, don't do anything too stupid. He allows camping, so unless you want to stay in the hotel in town (Donalsonville, or Bainbridge GA) you can stay right there on site. It's already home to Huck-O-Ween, a very successful event that turns 10 years old this year.

I'd love to get the ball rolling for holding FTCA flying events, even if they're unsanctioned.
DJI_0011.JPG

huckoween.jpeg

facilities.jpg

runway.jpg

3D where.jpg

hotels.jpg

camping.jpg

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I like it! Now, it WOULD be awesome to get an official FTCA sanction, but they might still be in the "figuring things out" place for a while. At best we might get FTCA recognition, but that's enough for now.

We can ask Lee (@FTCA Director ) what it would take to make it "official". If you're a paid member of the FTCA, which I am, what else is needed to make it an official FTCA meetup/event?

We haven't joined a large existing bureaucracy. We ARE the FTCA at this point. We're at a point that if we want things done, we need to do it. Obviously within the framework that Lee, Josh and all are building. But they have their hands full operating the business of Flite Test, dealing with the regulations side with the FAA, and creating content for the channel. For those like myself who have been vocal about what we don't like about "other" organizations, this is our chance to help build it better.

On that note, for this event I'd like to try to keep it casual, but I'd also like to discuss about how to make it more friendly to people who are interested, but not already in the hobby. One of the things that I've noticed at other organized events is that even though they're presented as recruitment tools to get people into the hobby or club, they do a really bad job at it. @Craftydan, myself and another FT fan met up at an AMA event several years ago. They were beginner friendly in the fact the club president was buddy-boxing people who wanted to try flying. But there was no signage to let you know that. There was no registration booth or welcome area to greet people who were interested, but had no idea who they could go to for information

The three of us set up an unofficial welcome area and had a blast giving visitors some information about Flite Test and the hobby. I'd love to see this as a feature of the smaller FTCA events in the future.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
when when?

Working on details now!

Just got permission from the land owner yesterday.

Weather will be fairly nice here for a while... but soon we'll have people travelling for Thanksgiving, then I'm hoping to make a drive to Ohio/Edgewater. Then there's Christmas. Weather gets a bit less desirable after that. Then there's spring.

I'd love to do a test run between Halloween and Thanksgiving. How does that sound?

event dates.jpg

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
seems fine to me.

Won't that trip to edgewater be pushing the cold side?

What type of structure/setup do you want to do?

alan0043

Hi Flying Monkey,

I would definitely email Lee about your idea. I think this is the kind event/group gathering that Josh and Lee had in mind when they came up with the FTCA. The farm looks like a nice place for an event. My thought, it would be nice to have an event this fall and see how things go. You don't need to have a large crowd to have a good time. :cool:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hey Flying Monkey,

Your group could be the first FTCA group outside of Edgewater to have an event. :cool: This could be the spark that is needed to show other FTCA members that flight has a nice place in the community. Good luck with getting things together for your event.
Not going to lie...

That would be pretty awesome.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
@FlyingMonkey I love the idea! I would totally come if I wasn’t on the other side of the country - once a year for Flitefest is enough haha. But hey, I’m sure I’m not the only one in the west coast who would like to attend an FTCA event… :unsure::unsure:

Then make one!

That's what I'm doing. There's no organization to the general membership yet, there's too few, and it's too new. So it's up to the few of us to get all grass roots on this and take it upon ourselves to lead the way.

I plan to at least take mental notes, and after the event do a write up on what went right, and what painful lessons I learned. I have a few other things in the works at the moment too. If I step too far out of line I am sure that Lee ( @FTCA Director) will let me know.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Then make one!

That's what I'm doing. There's no organization to the general membership yet, there's too few, and it's too new. So it's up to the few of us to get all grass roots on this and take it upon ourselves to lead the way.

I plan to at least take mental notes, and after the event do a write up on what went right, and what painful lessons I learned. I have a few other things in the works at the moment too. If I step too far out of line I am sure that Lee ( @FTCA Director) will let me know.

Hey, the way I see it if there are just a few the fact that it has been announced will make it the first satellite fly in.
Hopefully we can learn and get a big turn out at the next one.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hey, the way I see it if there are just a few the fact that it has been announced will make it the first satellite fly in.
Hopefully we can learn and get a big turn out at the next one.

That's the plan Mark!

The goal here is to get an event completed. I intend to then write up an article on the process and what I learned. Hopefully to help others do the same.