• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Flaperon setup

Hey guys.
Having trouble setting up the flaperon mod on my carbon cub s and a F5J glider.
When I unplug the y cable and then replug into aileron and aux 1 the control surface on aux1 doesn’t move but I believe there’s power there.
Have tried 2 different Spektrum receivers and 2 different Spektrum transmitters same result.
Channel assign seems correct.
Lost on me.
Any help please
Thanks

leaded50

if used cable extensions, control your connections, Found many times, one connection eg wasnt ok, (pushed hard enough together) or one turned wrong way.

if used cable extensions, control your connections, Found many times, one connection eg wasnt ok, (pushed hard enough together) or one turned wrong way.
This might be right but I tried several times with different receivers and transmitters with the same result don’t know if I could stuff it up that many time lol I didn’t fluke it once?

Tell us what your channel assignment is.
Are you using a build in flaperon mix or a custom mix in your Tx?

1 throttle
2 right ail 1
3 elevator
4 rudder
5 gear
6 left ail 1
Then aux 234

Built in flaperon mix in the tx. A Spektrum DX9
Also tried it with an old tx Spektrum DX6e and 2 different Spektrum receivers??

Merv

The channel assignment looks good to me.

Go to the Monitor page on the Tx & see if the Aux channel is responding to the aileron input.
If it's not responding, something is missing to put the Tx in Flaperon mode.
If it is responding, something else is wrong, maybe a bad servo lead or connection somewhere.

Monitor.png

Bricks

1 throttle
2 right ail 1
3 elevator
4 rudder
5 gear
6 left ail 1
Then aux 234

Built in flaperon mix in the tx. A Spektrum DX9
Also tried it with an old tx Spektrum DX6e and 2 different Spektrum receivers??

You cannot use a Y cable for flaperons each servo has to have it`s own wire running to the receiver.

IanT

Bricks is quite right its impossible to set up flapperons with a Y harness. You need to split the ailerons: ail lead 1 to ch2 and ail lead 2 to ch6, set them up first as independent ailerons on your transmitter ensuring that they operate in the correct directions (may require reversing in the transmitter, or even the leads swapping over on the reciever). Once the aileron operation works you can add the flapperon mix, just remember the more flaps you use the less effective the ailerons become particularly at slower speeds (ie when coming in to land) and in most cases the nose will pitch up when you deploy them. So you may need some down elevator mixing in to compensate. Thats also a tricky setting, as too much and the plane will nose down too much, its a suck it and see setting.
I learnt this while setting up flapperons on my Bixler 3, too much down elevator and it dropped the nose, I had to give it lots of up elevator to compensate the first time. Turned out after some experimentation with the Bixler that I didnt really need the elevator mix anyway, so just flew with 30% flapperons.
Each plane will react differently so I suggest try it before you add an elevator mix, deploy the flaps and be ready to add some down elevator, then if its needed you can mix it in later.