Flite Test Foam Board

doc_mat

Okay, so I've been trying like crazy to find the foam board that Flite Test uses for their speed build kits... all I can find is the Elmer's stuff that has the thick paper. It seems to be a bit heavier, and it really doesn't take hot glue as good as the Flite Test stuff... where exactly can you get that stuff? I've checked Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Family Dollar, and even the Dollar Store... the only places I haven't checked are hobby stores, craft stores, and hardware stores...

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Surprised you didn't find it at the Dollar Tree Store (the last place you listed) -- it's usually in the crafts section. The Elmers foamboard is also very handy. I have a few sheets of those I pick up from Michaels when they have them on sale for $1 per sheet.

I built my blunt nose versa with Elmers to make the center / blunt section and the wing tips. Regular Dollar Tree foamboard for the rest, resulting in a strong and still light airframe.

Tactical Ex

I thought they are almost exclusively at "Dollar Tree" but I have seem analogues to it at Staples and Office Depot for higher prices.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
You can build a great Noob Tube type of plane out of Elmer's. The Noob Tube can handle the extra weight and ends up being a superior airplane because Elmer's is water resistant as is and takes a beating much better than what Flite Test uses.

But if you're looking to build an advanced FT design, like the Spitfire or Mustang, then definitely go with what Flite Test uses. Since you've been to a Dollar Tree store, ask them to order you a box of Adam's Readi-board. I believe that ANY Dollar Tree CAN get the Dollar Tree foam board (also called Adam's Readi-board). But not all of them stock it. Since you may have to ask for it, you'll have to buy it by the case. Which is either 20 or 25 sheets, I don't remember. Which seems like a lot, but I'm sure you'll quickly go through a case.

doc_mat

Thanks for the speedy replies, everyone. Reminds me why I love this community. I will definitely double-check Dollar Tree (Family Dollar) again just to make sure. If they truly don't have it, I'll totally be buying online and having it shipped to my home.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Dollar Tree and Family Dollar are different companies. Usually ONLY Dollar Tree has RL Adams Foam Board. (Dollar Tree is a TRUE Dollar store where everything is a dollar).

You can always order it from their website and they will deliver it to your store for free.

Thurmond

Last edited:

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
Out here in Potter county, PA, most Dollar General stores carry the Adams redi-board.
I've heard that some have colors other than black.
Good luck with your search.

Tom

doc_mat

Okay, I went to the straight up Dollar Store. Explains why they didn't have what I was looking for. There's a couple of Dollar Generals around here in the Syracuse area.