Flying Dutchman

SFC76

I'm just a regular Dutch bloke, a veteran to R/C but a newbie when it comes to anything capable of flight.

I grew up in a time when R/C fliyng (anything R/C really) was bulky and above all costing multiple arms and legs, but always had a blast with anything remote controlled. A Nikko Sand Bully I got for Christmas somewhere in the eighties planted the seed in me called R/C addiction.

Over the years I saved up and bought anything R/C controlled within my grasp, ranging from cars to tanks to novelty toys. I also wanted to know how it all worked, so many of the toys ended up being dissected and 'improved'.
Back in 2004/5 I bought a RoboSapien by WowWee toys, and in the same toy store there was this awesome flying contraption called the "X-UFO" by Silverlit. As of that moment, a new seed was planted; taking to the skies! (remote controlled of course). I bought the X-UFO and some other marvelous flying toys by Silverlit like a pico helicopter, having a blast.

In 2009 disaster struck as my garage was ransacked while I was living in Denmark, without trace of breaking and entering (I suspect the landlord who had a spare key for maintenance). Almost all of my R/C stuff was gone (along with a dirt bike, two mountain bikes and lots of personal stuff) and the insurance company didn't pay a single penny because there was no evidence of burglary.
This event had drawn me away from the R/C hobby for a few years, investing thousands of euros yet again wasn't very appealing at the time. But since blood is thicker than water, the R/C virus hadn't thinned out of my veins just yet.

In 2013 I excavated my garage finding a lot of R/C remains. I still had my Futaba FX-18 and F-14, a few bits and parts and even my old Sand Bully wasn't worthy of stealing, apparently.
Around this time I found out things had become a lot cheaper, and being frugal (yes Mr. Bixler, me too) I started ordering bits and parts to build a drone. An SK500 with an APM clone, GPS, and EMAX parts.
As I had been out of the hobby for some time I started scavenging the world wide web for information and ended up watching a lot of FliteTest on Youtube, bringing me here to this forum.

I'm just here to see what other members come up with, share my experience, and making memories!

Dimitri (AKA StarfleetCaptain, or SFC for short).