Flying near buildings and safety.

Mikeflight

Just a note about safety and responsible flying. Here in the UK we have had an idiot flying a multi-rotor in London's Hyde Park. He was caught and fined 1000 pounds for his amusement. Yesterday another clown is being tracked down for flying another multi-rotor around the Wallace Monument here in Scotland, where I live. This Wallace Monument incident ended with the copter smashing through a window. Here is an excerpt from the BBC report.

" A drone smashed a window after crashing into the Wallace Monument in Stirling, it has emerged.
The incident happened at about 16:30 on Saturday. No one was hurt.
Police said they were attempting to trace the operator of the remote aircraft, who was within the grounds of the 67m (220ft) high monument at the time.
Officers said the incident was an example of the risks of flying drones in crowded or built-up areas."

This is the sort of thing that will cause major problems to our hobby. I have flown fixed wing for years and like most of you, I would never think of flying a fixed wing around or near buildings, but with the fantastic technology of flight control boards the stability makes it comparatively easy for a total beginner to fly a multi-rotor.

Please spread the word folks to all about safety and responsibility with our hobby. We don't want to be put in the position of having MORE MAJOR RESTRICTIONS put on our hobby because of some irresponsible people.