Flying without aids?

LundiThembi

I like the "pure" experience but is there a point where I'm making it too hard for no reason? Some fliers tell me to buy xyz because it will fly better because it comes trimmed, all ready set-up, etc. I'm resisting that, am I being too stubborn?

Last edited:

Piotrsko

Master member
Imho stable without aids is equal to artificially stabilized, when the stabilization is working. It's those moments were the electronics stop working that things go south. I prefer hands off radio off neutral* stable because it makes my workload less but feel free to choose your own path.

*Neutral stable is the plane continues on a path that only changes when you input a change in controls. Ie: it stays in a dive until it contacts something or ultimately, it orbits in a circle while you pick up a soda. Most people do not like neutral stability.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
....am I being too stubborn?
Maybe.
When I learned to fly, none of this stabilization stuff existed. I was fortunate enough to have an instructor. He put me on a buddy box and saved my bacon many times. Eventually, I learned to fly on my own. I'm not sure I would have stuck with it had it not been for my instructor.

There are very few people who can learn to fly on there own, most will need some kind of assistance. A flying simulator, a stabilization system or an instructor.

I understand your point, I have seen some who never get off the stabilization, they become dependent on it. I try to move people off the beginner mode as soon as possible. Just make sure you know where the save me switch is.

If you have someone who is willing to be your instructor, I see no need for the stabilization.

LundiThembi

Thanks for the thoughts form both of you. My father and I tried this on our own 40 years ago and failed miserably. I was lucky enough to bump into a guy who was super generous with his time to get me started. If it is a fairly windless day I'm ok on my own. If the wind builds I find myself getting into trouble.The Flite-Test planes, quick build and repair times have been a blessing.

Bricks

Master member
Thanks for the thoughts form both of you. My father and I tried this on our own 40 years ago and failed miserably. I was lucky enough to bump into a guy who was super generous with his time to get me started. If it is a fairly windless day I'm ok on my own. If the wind builds I find myself getting into trouble.The Flite-Test planes, quick build and repair times have been a blessing.

When it comes to wind bigger and some bit heavier is your friend.

quorneng

Master member
Those Lemon 'stab' receivers are indeed superb if of course you are using Spektrum gear and are remarkably cheap too.
They are remote switchable between 'Heading hold', 'Rate only mode' and off. Heading hold will try to restore the plane to straight and level whereas Rate mode will just counter any sudden effects on the plane but no auto restore.

These stab receivers are brilliant for a light plane in gusty conditions and makes the maiden on a new plane much less stressful. ;)

M

MCNC

Noob here, can barely fly. Crash and repair much more than fly. Plane is cheap other than time invested. But to fly without assistance is part of the appeal to me . The challenge to avoid repair is one thing that keeps it interesting. Learning to crash gracefully....

Byrdman

Noob here, can barely fly. Crash and repair much more than fly. Plane is cheap other than time invested. But to fly without assistance is part of the appeal to me . The challenge to avoid repair is one thing that keeps it interesting. Learning to crash gracefully....

That may be true, but IMO these FS are/were designed for people that purchase expensive planes, not $3-$6 foam airframes. I bought one off Amazon just to tinker with to see how they work. IMO, once they are tuned properly, they will cut down on the crash/repair time some enjoy and others hate.

I like to build, but some in the hobby just want to fly and have no interest in building planes. Also, they will also help a lot when certain milestones are completed in the hobby like moving from trainer to more advanced/complicated planes.

To each their own, and its great if it brings more people into this hobby. Lots of people wont ever fly because they are afraid of the crashes, and this may cut down on the intimidation factor. I believe they do have their place, but also believe they can be overly used to where certain skills wont be developed. In the OP's case flying in the wind is a skill that has to be developed over time and the only way you can do that is fly in the wind. If a FS can help with that, I think it's great. Plus, you can always tune it where you can turn it off and then on from the Tx for those "Oh $#!%" moments.

Piotrsko

Master member
Actually, you could get a sim and turn the wind setting way up, practice there. Not sure if that would fix the issue, which is getting successful flight time. Wouldn't hurt.

Forty years ago there was huge quantities of crud designs and instant out of the box ARTF & RTF bad airplanes. I was there (COUGH) Hobby shack (COUGH) had a friend that was addicted to their speed builds, only flew successfully after I built him a Herr models 049 super cub that was flat square and not warped. Flying a perfectly good plane into trees is a different problem.

Last edited:

Scotto

Elite member
I like the "pure" experience but is there a point where I'm making it too hard for no reason? Some fliers tell me to buy xyz because it will fly better because it comes trimmed, all ready set-up, etc. I'm resisting that, am I being too stubborn?

In my very limited experience it seems like the smaller the plane the more artificial stabilization I want. Ive got 2 planes that look like they should fly similar but the little one is a pill. Im with you though I think its cheating lol. Youll probly be a better pilot if you can fly without it. We learn more from what we do wrong than when everything just works perfectly, right? Learning how to make a plane be aerodynamically stable might be my favorite part of the hobby. :geek:

Marzipan

was there any sort of stabilization / recovery hardware for r/c in the 80's or 90's, before foam and electrics took over?

bisco

Elite member
what does trimmed and already set up mean? many arf's still need some set up, and often need to be trimmed.
that being said, there are many models that are much easier to fly that flite test builds.

have you tried the tiny trainer 3 channel? might be their easiest. but still too heavy, requiring more speed to keep it aloft.
and wind is your enemy until you become a proficient pilot, so avoid it whenever possible.

Marzipan

and wind is your enemy until you become a proficient pilot, so avoid it whenever possible.

what if you live somewhere there is always wind, like Prince Rupert, BC, Canada? sometimes it's just a light breeze, but it's always on the move and very rarely ever still.

I haven't bought my first place and I realize as much as I want to get some of the MinimumRC aircraft, they're going to be far too light and until I have somewhere indoors to fly, better go with something a bit bigger / heavier.

Tiny Trainer still...just upgrade the power pack?

bisco

Elite member
what if you live somewhere there is always wind, like Prince Rupert, BC, Canada? sometimes it's just a light breeze, but it's always on the move and very rarely ever still.

I haven't bought my first place and I realize as much as I want to get some of the MinimumRC aircraft, they're going to be far too light and until I have somewhere indoors to fly, better go with something a bit bigger / heavier.

Tiny Trainer still...just upgrade the power pack?
you could put an aura 5 stabilizer in it. i started with an aeroscout. it is 41" wing span, and fairy heavy, taking a 3s 2200mah battery. it is powerful, and glides very well.
it has safe mode, and as3x, which counters the effects of wind to some extent.
you can flip safe off, and have it it, and if you get hit by a gust, flip it back on and the plane will level itself right out.
it even has an intermediate mode that lets you take more contol than safe, but it won't allow loops or rolls, always preventing it from going further than a certain degree.
just keep it up high so you have time to hit the switch and the gyro to do its thing before the ground comes up.
most trouble i ever have is trying to fly low and slow, always a dangerous practice, especially in wind.

a faster tiny trainer might help, but will also need faster reaction times.

Taildragger

Legendary member
you could put an aura 5 stabilizer in it. i started with an aeroscout. it is 41" wing span, and fairy heavy, taking a 3s 2200mah battery. it is powerful, and glides very well.
it has safe mode, and as3x, which counters the effects of wind to some extent.
you can flip safe off, and have it it, and if you get hit by a gust, flip it back on and the plane will level itself right out.
it even has an intermediate mode that lets you take more contol than safe, but it won't allow loops or rolls, always preventing it from going further than a certain degree.
just keep it up high so you have time to hit the switch and the gyro to do its thing before the ground comes up.
most trouble i ever have is trying to fly low and slow, always a dangerous practice, especially in wind.

a faster tiny trainer might help, but will also need faster reaction times.
I don't have a switch (in my brain) between "low and slow" and "Climbing... Climbing... I can still see it so its not high enough..." :LOL:
I usually prefer the low and slow, mostly because I have practiced it a lot so I am confident in not crashing now.

Byrdman

The only answers to the wind questions are IME...

1. The bigger the plane, the better it will handle the wind.
2. 4 ch with ailerons will always fly better in the wind than a 3 ch using only rudder.

Part of learning to fly is being able to manage in the wind. It's most likely always going to be there. The guy that helped me get started a long time ago told me "You are in control of the plane and dont ever F....... forget that!"

That was before they had FS's, but now that they have them, get one if you think it will help. They are cheap now and $20-$25 will get you a good one. the FS will definitely help with wind issues. But dont expect it to work miracle's right out of the box because you do have to set it up, but it's not difficult if you can follow directions. You can always turn it off if you think it's cheating, but would be nice to have when you get in trouble or its very windy.