Flying without aids?

LundiThembi

The only answers to the wind questions are IME...

1. The bigger the plane, the better it will handle the wind.
2. 4 ch with ailerons will always fly better in the wind than a 3 ch using only rudder.

Part of learning to fly is being able to manage in the wind. It's most likely always going to be there. The guy that helped me get started a long time ago told me "You are in control of the plane and dont ever F....... forget that!"

That was before they had FS's, but now that they have them, get one if you think it will help. They are cheap now and $20-$25 will get you a good one. the FS will definitely help with wind issues. But dont expect it to work miracle's right out of the box because you do have to set it up, but it's not difficult if you can follow directions. You can always turn it off if you think it's cheating, but would be nice to have when you get in trouble or its very windy.
Thanks for that! I have a simulator, I crank the wind up to 10 - 15 mph, I should probably add turbulence as well. I know a lot of it is still lack of confidence and being able to think and respond quickly.

Marzipan

The only answers to the wind questions are IME...

...and IME means?

Thanks for that! I have a simulator, I crank the wind up to 10 - 15 mph, I should probably add turbulence as well. I know a lot of it is still lack of confidence and being able to think and respond quickly.

I suspect I will be doing a LOT of sim training! which sim(s) do you use? what's your transmitter? do you use it wired or wireless?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Stabilizers have their place. The trouble with them is, that they don't solve the initial problem for new pilots, and that's learning how to find the CG and balance a plane. Or how to properly trim a plane.

Stabilizers that are installed by the pilot can be doomed to failure if they don't know the basics listed above, and/or don't know how to set up the stabilizer in the correct location, and how to set the PIDs/gains.

For the ones that come preinstalled and programmed out of the box, there's still some calibration that needs to be done correctly.

But once you get past that, I really have no issue with a pilot who never learns to fly outside of "assist mode". Not everyone getting into the hobby does it to be a great pilot. Some are just happy to see a plane fly circles, and know that they are at least partly in control of that. If that's where their happiness lies, who am I to tell them they're wrong?

Piotrsko

Master member
was there any sort of stabilization / recovery hardware for r/c in the 80's or 90's, before foam and electrics took over?
Nope.
The heli people had spinning gyros adapted from aircraft but they were big and expen$$$$$ive. I had foam planes and cardboard gliders back in the 70's and Bob Bouchet was playing with electrics in the '80s

LundiThembi

"Some are just happy to see a plane fly circles, and know that they are at least partly in control of that. If that's where their happiness lies, who am I to tell them they're wrong?"

Hear,hear.
Agree. I'm having fun..that's how I want to keep it.I know myself, if I get "too" whatever...I'll stop having fun. I've done it before with other hobbies/interest, I'm old enough to know myself...only took 58 years!

Piotrsko

Master member
i find my umx turbo timber with as3x much easier to fly in 10mph wind than my fms ranger 850 without as3x.
that gives me more flying days
How about actively seeking a +30mph wind on a slope? 40mph is a bit too much for me and my not computer radios, but I'm old and the responses are slow.