Combat Wing for FF23

FishbonesAir

Is a launch sled or rail be an option 🤔? Not having been there, I have no idea how things work, just tossing out ideas.

Pieliker96

Elite member
Is a launch sled or rail be an option 🤔? Not having been there, I have no idea how things work, just tossing out ideas.
It would definitely work, I just think it's too much setup for combat. It might not need it with the new prop anyways: the new thrust-to-weight has twice the margin over gravity it did previously which should make climbout far easier. We'll see soon how it turns out

NickRehm

Awesome build, I'm finishing up my combat wing and will be there tomorrow evening. Took the same approach as you with the lights--double duty for combat and night flying. I'll post some pics later this evening.

Looking forward to seeing yours in the air this weekend!

Pieliker96

Elite member
20230623_192957.jpg

Got my first snag this evening! Ripped through the wing up to the spar and interfered with the rudder enough to force a landing. The parachute needs to be much bigger to pose a real threat of taking a plane out of the air through drag alone.

The wing took at least two real hard hits with minimal damage - just some crunched foam. It kept going into failsafe every ten seconds or so which made piloting difficult. I may reduce the elevator deflection in the failsafe so that it doesn't risk stalling/spinning the wing when it does happen, and I'll also try relocating the rx antenna best I can.

Pieliker96

Elite member
Seven midairs, three tow line catches, and two streamer cuts, and a partridge in a pear tree.
It did well overall, there are some changes I'd like to make for next year - namely, a bigger chute, more battery life, and a tx/rx combo that doesn't go into failsafe every tens of seconds.

Here's the video: