Foam Board Builders in Brisbane, Austrlia?

SKT

Gday All,

About 6 months ago, after watching the inspirational content coming from the Flitetest crew for a few years, I decided to give building from foam board a go and to my suprise was able to produce a very flyable Bloody Wonder and have been addicted since. Knockin out planes from plans and imagination alike quicker than I can crash em. Its great and the forum is great and every little drop of Flitetest I can consume fuels the fire.

But in the Flitetest spirit the most fun is experiencing the highs and lows with other people so I'm putting the calling out for anyone designing, building and crashing with foam board in the Brisbane (Australia) area. I'm really keen to catch up, chat, build and crash with anyone do in the same. Get together for own mini mini Flitefest style shinanigans.

Let us know where you are and how addicted you are.

- Scott (Albany Creek)

rider

Not quite Brisbane, I'm in Melbourne.

What foamboard have you been using? I've got some from foamboards.com.au.

So far I've only made an FT-22 with the Australian foamboard but have the pieces cut for the FT-Mustang, just need to put it together. It's a bit heavier than the DTFB, but feels a bit stronger to me. I'm going to try and save some weight in the FT-Mustang by cutting some lightning holes in it, I just need to decide where to put them so as to not compromise strength and stiffness too much.

Great idea for a flight test shinanigens but Im in VIC aswell. I see there is a map on FT website with locations of fellow FT flyers. There seems to be a bunch in Brisbane. I hope you get together. I recon we could build a massive FT community here in AU.

To RIDER I have been using the foamboard from the same supplier and have a Spit, versa wing, old speedster, bloody wonder, ft flyer and delta and they all fly great. Dont worry about the weight I have not experienced any problems. On the other hand it is stronger so it crashes better. Its heavier and this helps with the windy conditions. If there is a downfall because its heavier I think we can swap that for strength. My favourite is a Versa wing with a Turnigy 2200KV motor. Its a rocket but also a lovely slow flyer.

We should have a Flitefest Down Under. How great would that be. Camping and flying. What a holiday!

rider

To RIDER I have been using the foamboard from the same supplier and have a Spit, versa wing, old speedster, bloody wonder, ft flyer and delta and they all fly great. Dont worry about the weight I have not experienced any problems.

That's good to know that the weight isn't such an issue. I think I'll still cut some holes to save weight, but won't try to be so aggressive in the weight saving department. A versa wing is next on my build list, looking forward so something a bit different to fly.

brizrobbo

Craig (Ferny Grove)

Got a delta (and a F-22 under construction). Want to put a couple of bloody wonders together and do some COMBAT.

That's good to know that the weight isn't such an issue. I think I'll still cut some holes to save weight, but won't try to be so aggressive in the weight saving department. A versa wing is next on my build list, looking forward so something a bit different to fly.

I also see people peel the paper from the inside of the wing to safe weight. Not sure how affective that is but it might safe you from having holes all over your plane

A versa wing is next on my build list, looking forward so something a bit different to fly.

You will be in love once you flew it. Mine just got recked. The engine mounting broke off at full throttle and ripped the rest of the plane like a shredder. Bluntnose is next on the cards. It will be nice to have a wider wingspan I want to try FPV

rider

I also see people peel the paper from the inside of the wing to safe weight. Not sure how affective that is but it might safe you from having holes all over your plane

That is another option. I plan on leaving the outside layer of paper intact, or covering the holes with tape, so they won't be seen.

SKT

Hey guys nice to see a few chime in. People travel so there's always the off chance we might meet up on a national level with a business trip or holiday. The beauty of foam board is you can rock up almost anywhere there's a picture framer with your electronics and plans and knock somethin up.

Which leads me to sourcing FB. I've been getting all my FB from picture framers. Found a guy real close and getting it dirt cheap. He's a budding flyer so plenty to chat about. I still get the occasional coloured FB from Officeworks. I feel it's a smidge heavier but you can always add more motor and prop. And I feel removing paper doesn't really save much weight compared to the strength and rigidity it provides. Even just one side.

Craig we need to get together and knock some stuff up. Way too many shiny top dollar Mustangs flying FG these days. Lazy bums slappin a battery in a BNF and then poppin them selves on every landing.

Just knocked up a Raptor myself. Beaut bird. Great build hey.

FlyerMorph

Im in Samford (near Ferny Grove, Brisbane) and fly with my friend at the soccer club all the time. Iv not scratch built anything yet but I bought a really bad foam board from Clark Rubber ("The home of foam" (bs)). However I laser cut a delta wing template from greyboard that I will try to use with the crappy foam to make a delta. I already have 3 24g turnigy motors and 3 esc's for them and 1 1000mah 3s battery.

SKT, how much do you get your foamboard for, and where in Albany?

I would love to get together with some people to fly/build. However im quite new to flying (about 6 months) and only have a bixler 1.1. Im also only 15.

But yea! would love to meets some new people involved in the hobby and flitetest.

Last edited:

SKT

Gday Morph. Thx for chiming in. Firstly if the Flitetest guys have taught us nothing else it is that age is not a barrier when flyin for fun. Neither is experience. I wish I was back in that first 6 months. There was some dark moments and heart ache but dang it was such a magical time of flying. I've only been flying a few years myself and am a fair noob myself but the beauty is if you aproach this hobby with a open mind and teachable attitude there is ALWAYS something to learn and always a new way to have a laugh if you are willing to roll the dice.

Samford hey... pretty close and def some cool little foamy spots over there. I know the soccer fields but only went out when I was focused on my 'precious' warbirds from HK and so on. Now I've got some planes I'm keen to throw around and dont rely on perfect pitch so undercarriage doesnt fold I'm keen to head back out. Be cool to catch up man.

Personally I'm getting my foam board from Keynote Framers in Everton Park.

http://keynotegallery.com.au/

I'm getting 1000mm x 800mm sheets for $10 which is from what I can tell pretty much cost price for the seller. Either way its $4 cheaper than Officeworks and a fair bit lighter too. The best value would be to get a box of 25 sheets from Keynote or Foamboards.com.au and it comes to about $7.50 a sheet. Thats pretty good value over several builds. I musta been through a good 20 sheets over the last 3-5 months. Could had a bunch more for my money if I'd gone for a box.I have a few buddys keen and they said theyd be happy to split a box but I just never got round to it. Mulling away at work, find a plan or get a crazy idea and buy a few sheets on the way home and there I am building.

Yeah def keen to get together buddy. You ever get up to the flying field at Ferny Grove Cricket Club? Its a legit RC flying club now. Rock up nice and early on a sat or sun morn and say gday. Read the signs and say gday. Almost everyone is decent and will say gday or help out if you need a hand and let people know your level of flying and what your about. Its more a legit organistion comprised of guys that like flying models rather than a 'club'.

So I thought I'd pop up a few pics of stuff I've built over the last little while. Feel free to pop up what ever you have cookn or knocked up already. This is crtainly not a my FT Spitfire is faster than your FT Spitfire. Just cool to see what people are getting away with and share the inspiration to build more. And I've slipped a pic in of my quads. Left one is scratch built but the little guy is a new addition 250mm jobby. Yet to be really flown due to a pair of dodgy motors I'm waiting to have replaced. Thats why its a hobby hey.
The big guy is a 1.8m FPV cruiser, yet to be maidened. The 'FoamCub' is 1.4m wing. Huge flaps and is sooo much fun to fly. The versawing pictured here is actually my first wing. They are so much fun I am onto my second in just a few months.

Show us what you guys have hey.

Box 4-1200.jpg Box 5-1200.jpg Cub 7-1200.jpg Cub 8-1200.jpg Quads 1-1200.jpg Versa 1a-1200.jpg Versa 1b-1200.jpg

FlyerMorph

Hey! I haven't scratch built anything yet. However I am thinking of converting a little fox glider from Hobbyrama (below) into a powered glider using a turnigy park 300 1380kv motor and 1000mah battery and some micro servos. My dad and I have just finished building an electrohub quadcopter using these motors.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...e_Series_28_26_1100kv_252w_AU_Warehouse_.html

This is me and my dad's first quad. We have already broken about 20 zip ties for the landing gear xD Also cracked a boom. Lucky we ordered a whole new kit for replacements! We smashed all the original landing gears on the maiden. (We bought the anycopter hub a long time ago, recieved the electrohub before it was even out xD. Only just built it though because dad doesn't have much time on his hands.)

I have also played around with cardboard and toilet paper rolls and my old bixler's horizontal and vertical stabilizer to make some weird looking gliders.
Oh how I wish I could just go down to the local DollarTree and give them 5 bucks and get 5 sheets of foamboard and let my creative mind flow :(

But alas, I must pay about $10 for just one sheet.

Attachments

• IMAG0094.jpg
    IMAG0094.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27

FlyerMorph

Forgot about the quad photos :)

Attachments

• IMAG0091.jpg
    IMAG0091.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0090.jpg
    IMAG0090.jpg