FoamTac instead of Hot Glue?

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I have a bottle of bSi Foam-Cure which is ok. I'm not sure which might be better but I was thinking I'd like the ability to just pop the cap off and glue something without having to plug in a hot glue gun and wait for it to warm up. Foam safe CA would also fill that role but it's much more expensive even not counting the accelerator.

Bricks

Master member
Using FoamTac will give you a lighter build only down side is waiting for stuff to dry and holding things in position until it does dry.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Kobur,

I have started using the stuff in the links below as a substitute for hot glue. It comes in two sizes, and it's much cheaper than Foam-Tac and UHU POR, but works the same way. I like it because it gives me plenty of time make adjustments, but gets tacky enough to hold most parts together relatively quickly. The down-side is, it requires more time to cure, but that doesn't bother me, as I prefer to have things aligned perfectly over getting the build done quickly. I will still use hot glue when I want to put something together quickly, but that is seldom the case. I happened to stumble across this product right after I had stocked up on a bunch of UHU POR I found at a reasonable price on Ebay, so I wish I had found this first. I hope this info is helpful.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/clear-foam-glue-medium-cure-small-20g.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/clear-foam-glue-medium-cure-large-100ml.html

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm a big fan of using White Gorilla Glue - which is similar to FoamTac with a lot more foaming action. I use it along with hot glue - I run long beads of the foaming glue along the joint, leaving a couple spots bare - maybe a hand span apart. Then I use hot glue in those spots to hold the parts together while the slow cure glue foams itself. Also a good idea to run masking tape along the seam on the outsides if it's in a place where the foaming over glue might be on on the outside.

Why do this? Three benefits with the foaming glue. First, it's a good bit lighter, and lighter flys better. Second, I don't have to worry about the plane coming apart sitting in a hot car or in the sun on the flight line. (Yes, I've had this happen). And third, the foaming action creates a stronger joint in most cases by connecting more surface area together than just the hot glue - really handy for gluing in things like firewalls :)

jaredstrees

I agree with Rockyboy. I still use hot glue, but I've found the gorilla glue to be the best. It really only take 30 minutes or so to set up enough and if you plan your build out you can do multiple parts at once. Cuts down the build time. I still use hot glue on occasion, but living in Florida means I have to be real careful about where I leave those planes! I've used foamtac, but gorilla just seems to work better, and cures as quick or faster. My bottle of foamtac I believe says to wait 24 hours for full cure. I'm not that patient!

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
I'm a big fan of using White Gorilla Glue - which is similar to FoamTac with a lot more foaming action. I use it along with hot glue - I run long beads of the foaming glue along the joint, leaving a couple spots bare - maybe a hand span apart. Then I use hot glue in those spots to hold the parts together while the slow cure glue foams itself. Also a good idea to run masking tape along the seam on the outsides if it's in a place where the foaming over glue might be on on the outside.

Why do this? Three benefits with the foaming glue. First, it's a good bit lighter, and lighter flys better. Second, I don't have to worry about the plane coming apart sitting in a hot car or in the sun on the flight line. (Yes, I've had this happen). And third, the foaming action creates a stronger joint in most cases by connecting more surface area together than just the hot glue - really handy for gluing in things like firewalls :)

Totally agree with rockyboy, White Gorilla Glue is fantastic! FoamTac is great for foam repair work on a foam airplane but not that great for foamboard.

Kobur

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I am confused, I suppose about the difference in using Foam Tac on foam board vs. using it on foam. Is there a big difference in the composition on foam in use for RC aircraft generally as opposed to the foam on foam board?

I am definitely going to look into all the other types of adhesives mentioned. I’ll

Kobur

I really like the hybrid glue approach you use. I never thought of combining two in that way, but it makes good sense as soon as you hear it. I’m assuming that you leave the parts unattached/unfolded, put both types on, and then make the attachment or do the fold to join the parts, right?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I really like the hybrid glue approach you use. I never thought of combining two in that way, but it makes good sense as soon as you hear it. I’m assuming that you leave the parts unattached/unfolded, put both types on, and then make the attachment or do the fold to join the parts, right?

I've had best luck doing the glue with the longest set time first while it's open, and then while still open put down the hot glue or whatever else I'm using with a short set time and then close it up. Every once in a while I'll run across a situation where I'm adding foaming glue after the hot glue has put it together, but that's usually just cause I messed up :p Except for something like a firewall where I want to build up a big foam pile behind the plywood for extra strength.