Following instructions (first post)

Hoomi

Master member
Now that the Alpha is finished and has flown, I'm working on the SkyFx T-28 Trojan. I hope to get more done on it this weekend, and once I'm done with that, I have the new Flerken SBK to build.

The Alpha is a surprisingly satisfying plane to fly, particularly since this was my first time of building from the plans, and not the SBK. About the only problem I have with it, is that the only painting I did on the Dollar Tree foam board, is the red stripes on the wing. With the foam board unpainted and hence, unsealed, I'm getting some curling on the wing and elevons. I'm not sure, at this point, if I can manage to straighten the surfaces back out much. It still flew last weekend, but I'm guessing if it gets much worse, it's going to have a detrimental effect on the flying characteristics. I may end up ordering the SBK in the near future, and build a new one with the better quality foam.

The T6 Texan II flew well enough for its maiden, though I noticed some issues that needed correcting, including that the motor mount was coming loose after the flight. It's in the process of a bit more work, including switching to a three blade prop, and reattaching the motor with some locktite added to the screws. I'll hopefully have it back and ready to fly again sometime over the Holiday break from work.

I watched the build video for the Flerken already, and while the plane has some interesting shapes/angles, the build actually looks easier than the mini Zero or Trojan. I think it's going to be a fun build, and hopefully, a fun flyer. I'll need to decide how to decorate it once it's done as well.

kilroy07

Legendary member
For that curling effect, you might be able to straighten it out by ironing the edges... I find it can really stiffen up the DTFB.