• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Following instructions (first post)

Hoomi

I'm thinking about trying to cut out a faux gear door cover to glue to the side of the strut as well, which would really improve the look. I bought 1/8" steel rod from Home Depot, bent it to match the upper part of the landing gear struts from the SBK, and the shock-absorbing struts clamp down using a pair of allen set screws. The wheels on these are a bit smaller diameter than I had on it before, which probably helped offset the weight difference.

I still need to do some touch-up painting on the underside of the wing, from where the original landing gear broke off in the crash, but she should be airworthy in the mean time.

I'd ordered this set from Banggood, to see if they would fit on the new EDF Rebel, but I don't think the retracts would work with the different shape of the shock-absorbing struts. Since the Mustang doesn't have the retract concern, though, I thought she might benefit from a bit of springiness in her gear instead.

Hoomi

I need to play with the Mustang some more. Last time I flew her, she still seemed unstable. I managed to get her back onto the ground safely, but cut the flight short. I'm wondering if it needs a bit more nose weight or something.

On the flip side, I tried a different camera mount for the Stinger. I rather like this view better than the belly-view I've been using.

Captain Jay

I need to play with the Mustang some more. Last time I flew her, she still seemed unstable. I managed to get her back onto the ground safely, but cut the flight short. I'm wondering if it needs a bit more nose weight or something.

On the flip side, I tried a different camera mount for the Stinger. I rather like this view better than the belly-view I've been using.

Great flight man!!! I think you're landing way to fast though... Do you have flaps? That plane should float in a bit more gentle like... Just seemed a bit fast... I like the video and song choice too

Hoomi

No flaps on the Stinger. At that speed, she's descending with the nose up, and I've found she settles in nicely that way, with little to no bounce. On approach, I'm throttled way back, and by touch-down, I'm at little to no throttle, to help minimize sucking grit through the fan. I used to taxi the Stinger on the ground, but after about 10 flights, I had some noticeable dings in the fan. I'll still get some from the take-off roll, but I figure there's no point in adding to that by running the motor on the ground, when she's easy enough to carry.

Captain Jay

No flaps on the Stinger. At that speed, she's descending with the nose up, and I've found she settles in nicely that way, with little to no bounce. On approach, I'm throttled way back, and by touch-down, I'm at little to no throttle, to help minimize sucking grit through the fan. I used to taxi the Stinger on the ground, but after about 10 flights, I had some noticeable dings in the fan. I'll still get some from the take-off roll, but I figure there's no point in adding to that by running the motor on the ground, when she's easy enough to carry.
I see... Yup, gotta do what ya gotta do to keep her looking good and back in one piece...

Hoomi

I've added FPV gear to my hangar. This video compares the performance of the goggles using the stock antennas that come with them, versus an aftermarket pair with a mushroom omnidirectional and a flat directional.