FOOD! What will you be eating at Flite Fest 2014?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
The question has come up once or twice what's going to be available for food at the event. The main site mentions vendors, I've heard rumors of a grill, but it's always good to be somewhat self sufficient when it comes to food.

In the past I've been fortunate to be included in groups at flying events where the people were awesome cooks. They'd pool some money, buy the supplies, and then have a little tip jar for people who wanted to chip in on site to join in on the meal. Dinners were often grilled items. Burgers and dogs are easy. You'd see people cooking steaks. We'd also do low country boils, where a pot was filled with shrimp or crawfish, potatoes and corn, spices and seasonings, and a variety of other items. This would be drained and then spread across a table for you to pick at.

Breakfast is a meal often over looked. I would bring a griddle or two and serve up pancakes and eggs, with bacon of course.

When I camp alone, I prefer meals I can boil. Mashed potatoes of the "instant" variety is always good. Pastas, or meals found in the camping section where you just have to add water.

There's likely some sort of eateries in town. We'd often travel caravan style to one or two of these types of places and enjoy lunch or dinner while supporting the local community.

If you know you'll be meeting up with a group of friends, it might be a good idea to put a plan together. One person brings the grill and gas/charcoal, someone else makes sure they have the large cooler and some ice, and another gets the main course, and everyone chips in with chips, snacks, and other accessories.

I'm looking forward to the event, and now I'm hungry. I'm going to get something to eat...

earthsciteach

I plan on going to Burger King. I hear they always have a huge variety of food stuff and constantly keep it well stocked.
Screen Shot 2014-07-09 at 8.57.34 AM.png

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Ok, I have it on good authority that there WILL be some good food vendors at the event. The types of food were as described...

A fried food vendor.
An italian food vendor.
A snow-cone vendor.
An ice cream vendor.
And a vendor selling more general store, last minute items. (ok, not food, but you're going to forget something at home, and this might save you a trip to town.)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Mmmmm . . . Fried stuff with cheese . . My favorite . . .

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I probably won't be staying, just coming down for a day. What day does everyone think is best for visitors? I'd like to get in on some of the FT builds.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
I probably won't be staying, just coming down for a day. What day does everyone think is best for visitors? I'd like to get in on some of the FT builds.

I would expect Saturday will be the busiest...but this is ohio...rain and wind prevail. I hope to be there fri and Bloody wonder destruction day(sat) but have the option of any day.

But back to food. There a couple of resturaunts in town, If anyone has any experience with them (Austin?) Maybe clue us in to where to go? Other than that.,..my body is accustomed to candy, fast food, and diet coke. Those options looked available on a map.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

You've got to stay!

If this is anything like the events I have gone to at Hodges Hobbies, the best stuff happens at night.

Night flying, night bowling, camp fires, food!

knightshots

You've got to stay!

If this is anything like the events I have gone to at Hodges Hobbies, the best stuff happens at night.

Night flying, night bowling, camp fires, food!

I Agree "cook outs" would help greatly with meal planning. We should make a plan on having meals together. Some can bring food, others can have the cooking items.

Splatwillicrash

What to eat and where...

What about fried, Italian food?
What about Fried Ice Cream!!?

Great Post FM!!!! It helps people get their head around what might be needed.

Hey Teach!!! They do have a DQ in town!!! Also Woods Grocery and I saw a sign about PIZZA but was not sure if that was a separate place or Woods themselves, I also see a listing for Linscotti's Pizza. Also there is the Hornet's Nest which I am still trying to figure out. Then there is the Firehouse Grill, Steaks and wings and such, and the West End Bar that does Pizza. How do I know? I did my standard remote recon using Google street view and this is a very nice little town, but I don't know if they know what they are in for.... hehe Here is a list of dining options from the Carroll County Visitors Bureau. Bon Appetite!

With regards to cooking on site, as I posted elsewhere I am arriving in a Cruise America 30'er with Oven, Three Burner range top, A Standard RV frige, and a Microwave. I also will have limited cooking implements (which I had to pay extra for) so I will no doubt be somewhat helpful in that regard. I have not actually heard anybody say positively that Gas Grills of the portable variety are for sure cleared for use. I did see something about Charcoal BBQ's as long as they had something fireproof, under them. I am right short of luggage space for any pavers lol..... I had planned on buying one of the cheap tabletop BBQ for the event and donating it after. Could you or someone bring a maybe 2' square piece of thin plywood I could set it on, I don't want to mess up the plastic folding table they provide with the MH almost as much as I don't want to mess up Mr Furey's grass....

Looking forward to this a whole lot. Now to find a suitcase big enough to hold even my UMX Radian.....

earthsciteach

That is some top-notch research! I'm bringing a Coleman propane stove, a multi-fuel stove and a small charcoal grill. I figure standard camp fare - burgers and dogs, bbq chicken, maybe get crazy and do a big pot o chili or spaghetti.

Trimax

as a local to flitefest there isnt any real close restraunts about 5 mile is the closest there is a dairy queen about 1/10th mile away
and a Mcdonalds probaly 3 miles. but any thing more then that is 5+ miles closet burger king is probaly 25 miles
Minerva, Carrollton, Canton in that order are the local citys btw if your not from the area Football Hall of Fame is about a 1/2 hour drive. if any one needs anyother info just message me ill try and help if i can. btw there is a new hotel in carrollton not sure if its finished yet tho Microtel. Anyone flying in from the akron canton airport is welcome to message me for phone number if they need help finding the place or assisted in any other way. I do stand corrected there is a couple local restraunts they are small

Last edited:

ofiesens2

Professional noob
Basic and flexible food plan for us:
Breakfast- Oatmeals and cereals
Lunch-Sandwiches and hot dogs
Snacks- chips, cookies, fruits, etc
Dinners- grilling burgers and such or food from the vendors

Splatwillicrash

Forgot the link

What about Fried Ice Cream!!?

Great Post FM!!!! It helps people get their head around what might be needed.

Hey Teach!!! They do have a DQ in town!!! Also Woods Grocery and I saw a sign about PIZZA but was not sure if that was a separate place or Woods themselves, I also see a listing for Linscotti's Pizza. Also there is the Hornet's Nest which I am still trying to figure out. Then there is the Firehouse Grill, Steaks and wings and such, and the West End Bar that does Pizza. How do I know? I did my standard remote recon using Google street view and this is a very nice little town, but I don't know if they know what they are in for.... hehe Here is a list of dining options from the Carroll County Visitors Bureau. Bon Appetite!

With regards to cooking on site, as I posted elsewhere I am arriving in a Cruise America 30'er with Oven, Three Burner range top, A Standard RV frige, and a Microwave. I also will have limited cooking implements (which I had to pay extra for) so I will no doubt be somewhat helpful in that regard. I have not actually heard anybody say positively that Gas Grills of the portable variety are for sure cleared for use. I did see something about Charcoal BBQ's as long as they had something fireproof, under them. I am right short of luggage space for any pavers lol..... I had planned on buying one of the cheap tabletop BBQ for the event and donating it after. Could you or someone bring a maybe 2' square piece of thin plywood I could set it on, I don't want to mess up the plastic folding table they provide with the MH almost as much as I don't want to mess up Mr Furey's grass....

Looking forward to this a whole lot. Now to find a suitcase big enough to hold even my UMX Radian.....

Here is the link....
http://carrollcountyohio.com/Dining/dining.htm