Found a quadcopter - haven't found any owner in weeks - should I modify it?

Hi everyone!

I've flown a Bix3, a F949, but never a quadcopter (other than the one flight I did with an AR.Drone 1.0).

A couple of weeks ago, I found a quadcopter near a stream of water at the boarding school I attend. The battery was hanging out of it and the camera had fallen off, but I found it a couple metres from the copter. The front left motor shaft was bent, indicating a hit with an object (most likely a tree because the stream is surrounded by - ya know - trees.) It was a dry day, but it had rained two days prior. The quadcopters plastic frame was not wet, but the battery was almost soaking. Seems the water had been trapped in the plastic surrounding the battery pack. I've let it dry since, in my room.
Oh, and of course, I found no trace of a transmitter.

The model is, as far as I know, just called Max Fly Quadcopter. That's what it says on the frame.

Meanwhile, I've been trying to find the owner of it. I've posted several posts on official sites and facebook groups. I've been around the neighborhood, asking around (mind you there are only about 200 people in this small city.) I've hung a couple papers with my info on, but so far, no luck.

The camera has a mini sd card in it, which I've checked. I found 3 files on it. There was a picture of some trees, taken the 1st of October 2013, but no clues to where the copter's owner lived at the time. Then there were two video files, one I was unable to recover. It had (litterally) no mass. It's total file size was 0 kb. Then there was the second video. I opened it and saw the FPV view of the copter flying around in a house (albeit a pretty bad pilot). The pilot kept flying up in the ceiling and landing on the floor for several minutes, until the pilot flipped it on its back to turn it off. I saw no clue of the pilot, other than the manly hands that turned the copter off in the end of the video. It was also taken the 1st of October 2013.

I don't think I will be able to find the owner. I'm waiting till after christmas, so the owner will be able find me/get a new one, and after that I think I'll modify it, but here's the question.

What should I do to it? How will I do it? (remember I am basically a beginner to multirotors) what motors will do the job? What ESC? All that technical stuff. What reciever should I use so it's compatible with my Turnigy 9XR Pro? What flight controller?

Thanks.

Spastickitten

Just keep it around I guess, maybe in a few months you can take it apart, but I would wait. Can you take a picture of it so I can get an idea of what kind of quad we are talking about.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I wouldn't trust the datestamps on the files, most likely whatever set them just wasn't setup correctly. I'm pretty sure that quad wasn't around in 2013 ;)

Good reminder why you should always put your contact info on anything you fly - and setup failsafe. This looks like a Syma knockoff and probably didn't have any kind of failsafe possible. I almost lost my Syma X1 when I first got it when a wind caught it and I lost orientation. Came down on a roof a block away - thankfully the homeowner was more than happy to let me climb up and retrieve it - even though they were just leaving for work.

I know the police station where I grew up had a policy on lost and found stuff that if it wasn't claimed in 30 days the person who brought it in could come get it back or it would go to auction/trash depending on it's value. So you may want to look into that just to make sure you're covered legally - it sounds like you've already made some good faith efforts at finding the owner so you're probably covered morally but that's between you and whatever belief system you may happen to have :D

As for the time stamp on the files, I think most of the smaller quad cameras don't have time stamps so there is just a pre-set one at the factory or something. All of my LaTrax Alias videos say they were taken in 2014 at different times near 1 AM even though I just took them.

As for the time stamp on the files, I think most of the smaller quad cameras don't have time stamps so there is just a pre-set one at the factory or something. All of my LaTrax Alias videos say they were taken in 2014 at different times near 1 AM even though I just took them.

Ah, ok. I see, I'm not sure what my local police station has of policies, but I'm pretty sure they won't care much.

I'll be waiting till after christmas, yeah.

EDIT: sorry, replied to wrong post.