FRIA Submission Help & Questions

MJSantito

Close to where I live there is a grass strip that was just recently decommissioned... or at least all of the necessary paperwork to keep it an active, registered grass strip airport was not renewed by the property owner because of the cost of insurance and a few other things. I'm good friends with the property owner and he lets me fly there regularly. Talked to him about what the FAA is doing/requiring for the hobby and asked him for permission to submit a FRIA application for that area. He was all in favor of that. I'd like to pursue seeing if I can submit that but I don't know what the hurdles may be and what else may be involved that could be a potential problem. There is no sanctioned AMA club here... would love to have a local club back around but have no clue if there are enough people in this area interested or even active enough to have a club.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Close to where I live there is a grass strip that was just recently decommissioned... or at least all of the necessary paperwork to keep it an active, registered grass strip airport was not renewed by the property owner because of the cost of insurance and a few other things. I'm good friends with the property owner and he lets me fly there regularly. Talked to him about what the FAA is doing/requiring for the hobby and asked him for permission to submit a FRIA application for that area. He was all in favor of that. I'd like to pursue seeing if I can submit that but I don't know what the hurdles may be and what else may be involved that could be a potential problem. There is no sanctioned AMA club here... would love to have a local club back around but have no clue if there are enough people in this area interested or even active enough to have a club.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
You'll need to contact the CBO you are member of and have them submit for you.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Being an FTCA member count? ... I did grab the check list...
Yes, FTCA is a recognized CBO. If you have the checklist, you were in the right spot. Just fill out the on-line FRIA application on the FTCA website.

It is my understanding FAA will not approve any flyover area that includes ANY type of road, building or parking lot. There is a massive backlog of FRIA applications, don't expect to hear anything for a long time. I'm still waiting to hear anything on the application I filled months ago for my club.

Last edited:

MJSantito

Thankfully the fly area is over a wooded area, hay field and marsh. Just wasn't sure with no defined club there or in my immediate area if that would be something else that would be a negative and get flagged.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Thankfully the fly area is over a wooded area, hay field and marsh. Just wasn't sure with no defined club there or in my immediate area if that would be something else that would be a negative and get flagged.
No, I don't believe that to be the case. The "club" I belong to is not official either, we are just a group of guys, who enjoy each others company. Our flying field has always been and will remain open to the public, no memberships required. I stated the application that our purpose was for anyone in the area who wanted to fly RC. Unlike the AMA, which requires membership to fly at one of their fields.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Link to FTCA FRIA info

Bricks

Master member
One problem may be that it was an airstrip at one time if FAA still has it recorded as such there may be more paper work involved.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
My FRIA update: APPROVED!

There is hope for the hobby

Our flying site is at a state park, we are a non AMA club & applied through the FTCA