FPV antennas to improve home internet wireless signal strength?

Liemavick

Mentor
Let me first say I know little to nothing about FPV antennas. One thing I did pick up on is it seems they use the same style connection as the antennas on my wireless router. It got me thinking if I could improve the signal throughout the house using one of those funky looking wire antennas. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hmm . . . they are the comon freq bands (2.4 & 5.8), and a circular polarized antenna has fair match to anything except it's reverse (R doesn't like L doesn't like R).

Assuming you've got good SWR, maybe. I'd say it depends on the device's antenna. Probably get more consistent reception at the edge of the range (fewer holes) because it's harder to fall out of polarization, but an H-H or V-V match will always perform better than the L-H, L-V, R-H or R-V, so the total range might drop. Now if the device's antenna is circular, L-R is the worst match you can get. You'll rely on reflected signals to hear anything.

In all fairness, I have an EE and antennas are still PFM. Personally, I believe EEs who design arrays should be locked up and studied. I've worked with a few -- nice people, but somthin' just ain't quite right.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Hmm . . . they are the comon freq bands (2.4 & 5.8), and a circular polarized antenna has fair match to anything except it's reverse (R doesn't like L doesn't like R).

Assuming you've got good SWR, maybe. I'd say it depends on the device's antenna. Probably get more consistent reception at the edge of the range (fewer holes) because it's harder to fall out of polarization, but an H-H or V-V match will always perform better than the L-H, L-V, R-H or R-V, so the total range might drop. Now if the device's antenna is circular, L-R is the worst match you can get. You'll rely on reflected signals to hear anything.

In all fairness, I have an EE and antennas are still PFM. Personally, I believe EEs who design arrays should be locked up and studied. I've worked with a few -- nice people, but somthin' just ain't quite right.

Wow that's some genius gibberish right there

Liemavick

Mentor
Dan, thank you and I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but if you could try that again in laymans terms? I might have a clue what you said LOL As I said at the top I know little about FPV so you lost me after "Hmm..."

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Wow that's some genius gibberish right there

I know!

And I'm not even one of those with the "gift". That was mostly TLAR stuff to say "IDK". What it sounds like to you is what they sound like to me! Can you imagine having to spend lunch with this as the topic?

Like I said, nice people, but somthin' just ain't quite right.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Dan, thank you and I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but if you could try that again in laymans terms? I might have a clue what you said LOL As I said at the top I know little about FPV so you lost me after "Hmm..."

sorry liemavick. really didn't mean to geek out. I'll assume you understand the nature of PFM, to know I ain't got it covered either, but:

taking a step back to the early chapters in an RF book, skipping all the gain stages and directionality, polarization of an omni-antenna comes in 4 basic flavors. horizontal(H), vertical(V), left circular(L), right circular(R). now you loose signal strength in a myriad of ways, but having mis-matched antenna polarizations is a really easy way to throw away signal.

Theoretically H-H, for example would have no loss, or 0dB, but a H-V would completely loose the signal -- more practical RoT is -20 to -30dB or 100 to 1000 times quieter. Now what's the difference between a V and an H? whether the antenna is pointing up or on the side. so twist your airplane and you go from great signal to nothing. The neat part about a circular (and why we use them) is when they're matched to another circular (R-R, L-L) there is virtually no loss in the signal, no mater how you orient them. another neat property is that a circular is a fair match to a linear -- a L-V, L-H, R-V, R-H only drop -3dB, or 1/2 the signal (I know, dB is a weird scale). So they're always a fair match regardless of orientation -- handy.

The downside - a L-R is ALWAYS a bad match. Again RoT is -20 to -30 dB loss, just from picking the wrong antenna.

Ok, ears bleeding yet?

how it applies -- if you put a L circular on your router and your device is:

H or V - you'll never loose the fair polarization match from how the signal bounces, but the antenna could have been better if it was an exact match -- loose a little range.

L - great match anywhere -- full range!

R - terrible match -- Poor range.

My *Guess* is you'll have a more consistent signal on H or V antennas (or diverse antennas using H & V elements) because reflection/smear effects, out where the signal is weak, have less effect. I'd also *Guess* it would be shorter range because the match could be better.

PaulT

Mentor
Thanks for replacing or at least explaining your acronyms, Craftydan.
In my work in health care they kill people...literally...

I would say using the circular antennas would be good if you were doing flips on your trampoline whilst typing your questions on your laptop...maybe...
What's an EE and a PFM? And will it MMS when I find out?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
In my line of work, they just drive people crazy. No lives on the line, so I'm being lazy with my typing . . .

Time for CraftyDan's crazy acronym glossary (exaustive, but no particular order)):

PFM - Pure F******ing Magic (fill in the stars to suit)
TLAR - That Looks About Right
SWR - Standing Wave Ratio - measure of how efficient the transmission system is generating RF -- 1:1 (or 1) means no energy is lost/reflected from the TX port to out the antenna.
L, R, H, V - Left, Right, Horizontal, Vertical (but you got that one, right?)
EE - Electrical Engineer - will understand RF(radio frequency) concepts, but most treat antennas as PFM.
IDK - I Don't Know - (so now you know my secret)

hope that MMS (makes more sense). I'd be love to discuss more, but remember it's PFM and really, IDK ;)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Let me tell you. All physics make sense to me, but RF. RF is PFM to me as well. And IBCrazy is a magician.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
eery part to it all is it's a lot like visible light, but not quite, and a lot like fluid flow, but not quite, and a lot like wave mechanics, but not quite. And just about the time one of these analogies have helped you grasp a concept, you wander casually near the edge of the analogy and it turns around and bites you.

There are people with the gift of grasping this mess and -- God bless 'em -- I'm glad they're here, but can't make too fine a point of it: nice people, but somthin' just ain't quite right.