Diversity Ground Station - which antennas?

RedTwenty

Or is that antenna (plural), antennae, I have no idea what the plural is! ;)

So, I fly 5.8GHz for my FPV gear. Not a problem there and I'm getting good performance with my ImmersionRC 600mw Tx's and FatShark Attitude goggles with some Spironet antennas.

I'm looking now at setting up a base station to improve my range a bit. I want to use an ImmersionRC diversity receiver so thinking about my best antenna combination options...

I've heard good things about the Circular Wireless helical antenna so may go that way for one. If these then give me great range but with a narrow focus what should I match them up with? Do I:

1. Go for two helical antennas offset from one another to widen the focus?
  2. Go for something like a patch antenna?
  3. Use one of my existing Spironet antennas that have less range but a wider "spread"?

I sort of see the benefit of both 1 and 3, with 3 offering the obvious advantage for general flying.

I suppose I could start getting into things like antenna tracking systems but I'm just not there yet. That said, I reckon or general flying around my home base I'll probably stick with the Rx in the goggles as they haven't let me down yet.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Use one very directional antenna (high gain) and one multi-directional (low or no gain) for best coverage.

Thurmond